Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm heading out to Vegas for a conference and plan on driving there with my bike.

What are the rides that would be doable the end of February (21st-28th). Is Bootleg Canyon rideable then, or is the weather too bad? I can definitely bring a light if night riding is doable.

Also, my conference ends the 25th and the family and I are planning to take a leisurely route home (San Jose) that involves eastern Nevada, likely up towards Reno somehow then back down 80 to home. I pretty familiar with eastern California (grew up in Ridgecrest) and the 395 corridor, but not so familiar with Nevada.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Derek

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THE RICK said:
what event are you coming for?
I'll be there for the Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting.

Anybody got ideas on rides on the route from Las Vegas to Reno? Or even cool places to see? I've been told about Great Basin NP, but that looks like it would be really cold based on the elevation.

-Derek

·
Registered
666 Posts
Night riding is doable year round too at Bootleg Canyon. Caldera has some nice views of the strip especially at night. Just remind us next month, some of us may be able to show you around the trails.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'll be there the week before, no idea what it costs to bring a bike on a plane so I am not sure if my bike is coming or not..

What else is there to do in vegas if you not getting a hooker or gambling?

Where is the best burger in town? How about local brewhas?

I'll be there all week, what to do what to do...

BTW photography convention

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
[email protected] brewhas! This ain't Portland!

For beer I'd say head to BJ's pizza/brewpub. Its a chain but the beer is micro and good. The hofbrauhaus near the hardrock is decent if you like german beers.

I don't eat burgers I don't cook myself so no idea on that one.

Other stuff to do. Go see hoover dam, hike out at red rock (icebox canyon), if you've got a little dough you can rent motorcycles or cars. Its nice just to see the attractions on the strip like the pirate show, venetian has a wax museum, NY NY roller coaster, fremont street experience, etc... All google-able.

·
Registered
653 Posts
big_slacker said:
[email protected] brewhas! This ain't Portland!

For beer I'd say head to BJ's pizza/brewpub. Its a chain but the beer is micro and good. The hofbrauhaus near the hardrock is decent if you like german beers.

I don't eat burgers I don't cook myself so no idea on that one.

Other stuff to do. Go see hoover dam, hike out at red rock (icebox canyon), if you've got a little dough you can rent motorcycles or cars. Its nice just to see the attractions on the strip like the pirate show, venetian has a wax museum, NY NY roller coaster, fremont street experience, etc... All google-able.
I've got a bj's right here next to me (who doesn't love bj's??). Not bad but I have it here..

http://www.bigdogsbrews.com/ ?

I am without wheels unless I rent so it has to be something I can get to from the strip. Thinking of hoover damn and we will definately walk the strip. Thinking I gotta see coyote ugly :)

thx..

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I've been to the big dog's on sahara and wasn't that impressed. Just a bar with a few of their house beers. I ended up drinking guinness. The hofbrauhaus might be your best bet since its close to the strip. Actually if you're looking for a burger they have a HUGE beef/pork combo burger.

I thought I had to see coyote ugly when I went to vegas too. Unless you like waiting in line to pay money for the privilege of paying more money for drinks and having a girl stand on a bar and throw water on you. If you want the show though it is similar to the movie.

·
Registered
327 Posts
big_slacker said:
I've been to the big dog's on sahara and wasn't that impressed. Just a bar with a few of their house beers. I ended up drinking guinness. The hofbrauhaus might be your best bet since its close to the strip. Actually if you're looking for a burger they have a HUGE beef/pork combo burger.

I thought I had to see coyote ugly when I went to vegas too. Unless you like waiting in line to pay money for the privilege of paying more money for drinks and having a girl stand on a bar and throw water on you. If you want the show though it is similar to the movie.
I would disagree. I think of the breweries in Vegas that actually make their own beer, the
Draft House is tops. This is the Big Dogs location where they actually brew the beer. It's up on Craig and Rancho. Kinda outta the way, but worth the trip, especially if they are brewing their War Dog double IPA.

If you are in the neighbourhood of the Haufbrauhaus, I suggest eating there and then sliding over to the cantina for cheap mexican beers as the place is normally filled with co-eds of low moral values and even less clothing.

·
Single Malt
958 Posts
If your riding Bootleg...

...then you have to go The Dam Brewery. Try the Highscaler IPA!!!

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Maybe the IPA is good? If you're into that kind of thing. I stick to mostly porters and stouts, never have liked the IPAs. Regardless the atmosphere of the sahara big dogs was exactly the same as most vegas bars, utterly lacking in character and have you ever been asked to move because you're not playing video poker????

·
Registered
653 Posts
allrighty, from yelp I got stripburger and the mandalay bay burger place with good ratings. I'm looking for the dives, buffet food doesn't do much for me..

I am IPA guy, so were good there. Actually I like everything other than fruity and heffy beers so I'll be doing samplers. I will be limited by my transportation to the strip though, still debating trying to bring my bike or renting a car..

Thanks for all the input, good stuff :)

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
derek said:
Anybody got ideas on rides on the route from Las Vegas to Reno? Or even cool places to see? I've been told about Great Basin NP, but that looks like it would be really cold based on the elevation.
Between LV and Reno there are definitely places you COULD ride, and probably would if you lived somewhere along that route, but nothing noteworthy as far as I`ve ever heard. I`m in the Reno area and right now it`s June weather and not much snow. By the end of Feb it probably won`t be much colder but there will probably be a lot more snow. Best bet for riding would definitely be down around Las Vegas.

What route are you planning that puts GBNP between Reno and Vegas? That`s way over next to the Utah border and most of the way up the state. Yeah, it`ll be cold and have lots of snow. If you`re into snow shoeing or XC skiing, it`s probably a great place- I know it`s beautiful in Summer and Fall. Lehman caves might be open year-round too, I don`t know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Superbowl Sunday Ride?

I will be in Las Vegas for the Superbowl and l would be interested in a CC ride (2 hrs or so). I will bring my kit, but would need to rent a bike. And I will buy the post ride beverages of choice for the trail guiding. I'm 45, and I ride regularily. If nobody is interested in guiding, then how about a recommendation of a shop to rent a good bike, and a CC trail that provides a 2 hr ride? Thanks,
Jim-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.