·
Always in the wrong gear
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Took a quick ride out there today and brought along a camera for more footage:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm in town this week, never checked out this area before so I figured I'd go explore and find this feature. Big rock rolls are my fav-o-rite. Was able to locate it and probably picked out the same 3 lines as OP. The line to riders right is most straightforward but also the sketchiest IMO due to steep grade leading into a hump near the bottom.

The line to riders right has a sketchier entrance being very off camber across the slab but the final roll down is cake. As I was checking that out 2 riders roller thru. The first cleaned that line like it was nothing. The second slid out a bit on the off camber entrance but dabbed and finished the line. I tried it a few times with same result, back tire sliding out with too much rear brake. I finally tried riding the rock ridge in the middle then crossing over to the slab which was a better angle. Cleaned it no problem then.

I also tried the line going down the slot onto the slab and turning down the face of it. That line is probably the easiest as you don't have to deal with the off camber much. Fun feature! The off camber really ups the tech factor here. I didnt try the 3rd line.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That’s strong work Evdog!

I’m so jealous I wasn’t there to see you or those other guys do it.

Orienting from the top looking down-
I honestly discounted the right line as the ‘least likely’ due to the sketchy entrance and hump near the bottom.
I truly expected the ‘middle’ line to be the right one- enter on the left and turn right down the face, with a sharp left hand turn at the bottom.

There’s also the easy-exit roller on the far left, but I can’t see a good way to get around that Boulder without some awkward ‘white-line’ side-hill nonsense.

I guess I need to look at it with fresh eyes based on your info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
That’s strong work Evdog!

I’m so jealous I wasn’t there to see you or those other guys do it.

Orienting from the top looking down-
I honestly discounted the right line as the ‘least likely’ due to the sketchy entrance and hump near the bottom.
I truly expected the ‘middle’ line to be the right one- enter on the left and turn right down the face, with a sharp left hand turn at the bottom.

There’s also the easy-exit roller on the far left, but I can’t see a good way to get around that Boulder without some awkward ‘white-line’ side-hill nonsense.

I guess I need to look at it with fresh eyes based on your info.

I headed out there tomorrow. Any directions to help me find the feature?

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I PM'd you several days ago with a strava link and some general directions in response to your initial comment that you found the Pyramid loop but not how to get out to the other area.

GPS coordinates are in the general vicinity of
33°46'13.3"N 112°12'24.8"W

·
Registered
274 Posts
I PM'd you several days ago with a strava link and some general directions in response to your initial comment that you found the Pyramid loop but not how to get out to the other area.

GPS coordinates are in the general vicinity of
33°46'13.3"N 112°12'24.8"W
Awesome!! Sorry I missed your pm. I don’t see them using the phone app. I’ll pull in up on the desk top! Super stoked to find this area. I live 15 mins away.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Can't really help with gps but with the coords above keep in mind you need to approach on the south side of a little hill, the rock slab faces north. Look for some lesser used trails that split off uphill. It may not be easy to find from the N side as you navigate a few boulders after the rock slab.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Went back today Found the slab. Or should I say wall! Holly steep! And not much of a transition. Kinda of reminds me off the wall at Bartletts Wash in Moab. But much more difficult. Rider left. No way! Slip right and your done. Middle has that lip half way down. If I was to attempt it I’d go down the crease and make the hard turn right
Honestly it’s above my pay grade. Especially on my 130/120 67 HA bike

Maybe next month when my Firebird arrives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Impetus. I ride out there a fair amount but never saw that so gonna have to find it. Out of curiosity when you call it playground is that the whole Pyramid Peak area or that small area near the slab? Just wondering if I am missing some fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I call everything out there Playgrounds.
It’s really like 2 tech loops, and a jump line area connected by some singletrack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As much as I have been out there I have only found one jump line that was way above my ability and the jumps looked a little rough with one a gap jump over cactus that is on the west side of pyramid peak. Any advise on others out there I could find semi easily?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I have been to that spot many times. Always looked at it, but never tried it. I have no doubt it can be ridden with at least 3 lines, but all above my mental ability to ride it. Maybe I can, but I really don't want to crash there either. I am too old to want to heal up.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm in town this week, never checked out this area before so I figured I'd go explore and find this feature. Big rock rolls are my fav-o-rite. Was able to locate it and probably picked out the same 3 lines as OP. The line to riders right is most straightforward but also the sketchiest IMO due to steep grade leading into a hump near the bottom.

The line to riders right has a sketchier entrance being very off camber across the slab but the final roll down is cake. As I was checking that out 2 riders roller thru. The first cleaned that line like it was nothing. The second slid out a bit on the off camber entrance but dabbed and finished the line. I tried it a few times with same result, back tire sliding out with too much rear brake. I finally tried riding the rock ridge in the middle then crossing over to the slab which was a better angle. Cleaned it no problem then.

I also tried the line going down the slot onto the slab and turning down the face of it. That line is probably the easiest as you don't have to deal with the off camber much. Fun feature! The off camber really ups the tech factor here. I didnt try the 3rd line.
Finally went back out to what I’ve dubbed as ‘the nemesis slab’.
I was on my singlespeed, and didn’t have knee pads on so it was just recon, but As I was over analyzing how I was gonna approach that middle slot line, and playing around on the two lower rock rolls; a dude rolled through and, as was your experience, he cruised the side-hill and popped down the roller like it was gravy.

We chatted, he gave me a few tips, and I think I’ll be trying that line next time I’m out there on my FS bike. I know the bike isn’t a limiting factor, it’s probably doable on a CX bike, but I feel more confident doing high risk stuff on my 64*hta 160mm rig with sticky Maxxis rubber.

Maybe I’ll post a 30 sec clip of it on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I finally made it out and we stopped by and checked out this feature. It's really not as big as I expected, its just very awkward. I looked at it for a few minutes and then went on my way. That middle slot line looks welcoming but if your front tire slips off the side of that thing, you're toast.

BTW, those trails are incredible, it's like a giant playground. I want to meet the trail builders out there and give them a hug.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts