Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone who's actually ridden this slab out at Pyramid Peak/Playgrounds/Deem Hills

It's located on the North side of the area pinned roughly here:

"Playgrounds" is an area I ride very frequently. I've gotten very familiar with it, and am comfortable hitting every line and jump I can find out there, but man... this slab....it scares me.

Looking for input from anyone who has actually ridden this thing on what the line is. I've walked it and ID'd 3 potential lines. There's a pretty high penalty for failure, so I want to get this right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I haven’t ridden out there. But it’s close to me. I need to give it a try. Can you access the area from the new Peoria sports park?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
People ride bicycles out there now? Nice! The sprawl came out to it. When I was a kid it was all ATV's and rifles.

I had a geocache in the saddle of Pyramid Peak, I put there in my 20's. No idea what might have become of it

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The end game on that feature looks interesting! Momentum is your ally?!
You cant see it from the pic, but there's a narrow chute in the center of the pic, behind the bush, requiring a pretty quick left turn. the slab is STEEP. Like I have to use my hands to climb it steep. 60 degrees? I think that momentum is actually the enemy. It's a "trials" move, not a "send".

From the pics angle, it would also seem like a good line is way to the right, from the guy in the pic, down the but the car-sized boulder actually over-hangs the line forcing you down the side-slope.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this is your feature at 2:20
I know all the areas in that video, sadly he's no where close to the slab. he's actually like 1/2 mile away.

Is there a trail map for this area? I don't see anything on Trailforks.
There is not. I've tried to upload stuff to TF, and it is never accepted. Im not sure why. The whole area is on State trust land. There are some things on Strava, if you browse by segment. I'd guess 40% of whats out there.
Half the fun is exploring, or going with someone who knows and catching all the 'bonus lines'.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's plenty to explore out there. It'll take you several rides to find all the good stuff, and more to become familiar enough to link it all together into a great loop, but I'd estimate there's 25 miles of interesting trail out there.
There's also a ton of b-lines and side-features to session, plus probably 30 dirt jumps and weird rock things.
I can PM you info and pics if you want. I'd rather not confuse this thread by drifting into more general info. I really want to ride that slab but need at least a "virtual tow-in".

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There's plenty to explore out there. It'll take you several rides to find all the good stuff, and more to become familiar enough to link it all together into a great loop, but I'd estimate there's 25 miles of interesting trail out there.
There's also a ton of b-lines and side-features to session, plus probably 30 dirt jumps and weird rock things.
I can PM you info and pics if you want. I'd rather not confuse this thread by drifting into more general info. I really want to ride that slab but need at least a "virtual tow-in".
That would be awesome, or even if you just PM me where the TH is at.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I haven’t ridden out there. But it’s close to me. I need to give it a try. Can you access the area from the new Peoria sports park?
Yes you can - though it isn't necessarily straightforward. If you look on google maps you can see some jeep roads that initially head east towards the housing development and then it cuts north. From there, you will eventually cross another dirt road that heads either towards the 303 (looking left) or where the canal goes underground (looking right) Continuing north, keep your eyes peeled for a singletrack entrance. Once you are on singletrack, it will lead to the area talked about by the original poster in a few miles. It's good and legit ST. Once you see a pile of boulders, that is the area you are shooting for. You might even get lucky and see folks out there on their trials moto bikes doing STUPID stuff.

There are other alternatives for getting there - this is one of many - the big variable from the park is getting across new river. It's not as easy as it might look from the satellite. Just go out there and explore, there are hidden gems of fun all over the place.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That would be awesome, or even if you just PM me where the TH is at.
There isn't really a TH, though it seems like most people are accessing this at the bridge over the canal just north of deem hills where stetson valley parkway ends. You'll likely see plenty of vehicles parked there these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There isn't really a TH, though it seems like most people are accessing this at the bridge over the canal just north of deem hills where stetson valley parkway ends. You'll likely see plenty of vehicles parked there these days.
From there how do you get in I know yoj have to go north across the bridge but from videos it looks there is a barrier of some sorts is it all good to jumó over that or is there an actual entrance

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From there how do you get in I know yoj have to go north across the bridge but from videos it looks there is a barrier of some sorts is it all good to jumó over that or is there an actual entrance
It’s fine. The cement wall is to keep out cars.
Full disclosure- this is State Trust land, so you should have a permit. I’ve never been checked in probably 2 years and 30 trips. But it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s fine. The cement wall is to keep out cars.
Full disclosure- this is State Trust land, so you should have a permit. I’ve never been checked in probably 2 years and 30 trips. But it’s possible.

Oh ok thank you. And from there how do you get all of the fun stuff

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sounds flippant and dismissive, but there no good maps and directions are pointless. Just go out there an explore.

I guess I’d say- From the concrete barrier, go NW, look for narrow singletrack and stay close to the mountain.
You really just have to poke around out there to find the trails.
They’re all ‘social’ so there’s no signs

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds flippant and dismissive, but there no good maps and directions are pointless. Just go out there an explore.

I guess I’d say- From the concrete barrier, go NW, look for narrow singletrack and stay close to the mountain.
You really just have to poke around out there to find the trails.
They’re all ‘social’ so there’s no signs

Oh ok sounds good thank you

·
Registered
274 Posts
I went out for the first time and explored. K found the trail that circumnavigated pyramid peak. I found the small jump line. But not the big stuff. Also couldn’t find the OPs slab.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went out for the first time and explored. K found the trail that circumnavigated pyramid peak. I found the small jump line. But not the big stuff. Also couldn’t find the OPs slab.
Ya I want to go out there to find the jumps they seem pretty good from videos I have seen

1 - 20 of 34 Posts