Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aspire to work in computer animation as a profession, so I like to practice my skills by making complex objects in 3-D. This time around, I'm making a model of one of my dream bikes, the Yeti 303 DH bike (my model is of the prototype). It's not finished yet, but it still looks pretty awesome, in my opinion.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Looks good

Did you have to model each part? Is it to scale? I draw in 3D @ work ( furniture :rolleyes: ) I've always wanted to get into 3D animation. Hey maybe there should be a mtn. bike anmated show. That would be a good way to get kids into mtn. biking, adult too, they, we like animation as much as as they do.

·
Master of Disaster
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I model each part. I just get a picture of the part I am modelling and set it as an image pane in Maya that I model off of. In this pic, the frame is a Yeti 303, the tires arent really any real model, the shock is an Avalanche, and the rotor is a Hayes. I modeled a Fox DH40 for this thing, but you can't see it in that pic.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Thrillkil said:
yeah, I model each part. I just get a picture of the part I am modelling and set it as an image pane in Maya that I model off of. In this pic, the frame is a Yeti 303, the tires arent really any real model, the shock is an Avalanche, and the rotor is a Hayes. I modeled a Fox DH40 for this thing, but you can't see it in that pic.
So it's not really to scale. It's just scaled around the 1st part that gets drawn?? That's reallly cool. I've wanted to do the same thing but I don't have any nurb software. It's just parametric modeling. Looks alot like what you've done but requires some effort to get things to move in a specified way. I guess I havven't spent enough time w/that asperct of the software, Solid Edge btw.

·
Master of Disaster
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its kinda hard to see in this pic, but instead of having a proper pivot point, the 303's swingarm moves along a pair of rails as it goes through its travel.

And yes, I have been scaling everything according to the frame, which I modeled first

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
they designed the rails so that the rear suspension is better able to handle square-edged bumps...the kind that yeti team downhillers said slowed them down the most. very cool model by the way.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Bevel those edges man

Thrillkil said:
I aspire to work in computer animation as a profession, so I like to practice my skills by making complex objects in 3-D. This time around, I'm making a model of one of my dream bikes, the Yeti 303 DH bike (my model is of the prototype). It's not finished yet, but it still looks pretty awesome, in my opinion.

I am a character artist whos been running maya since its inception. Bevel those rocker arms boy. Maya sucks for bevels so learn Modo. I use it strictly as a bevel tool. Its amazing. Hope to expand its function soon. Keep up the good work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.