Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blur needs some new tread and I want to get some opinions.
On the hardtail I have IRC Trail Bears which are a great 2.2 tires for winter as you can easily run a lower pressure per volume. I may get another set of these but I am curious what other riders fancy for our local winter conditions.

Thanx in advance.

db

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Well on this side of the state the obvious winter tire is the Nokian Extreme 296. I probably put in 70 miles over ice and compact snow over here with no falls. Without studs on hard ice you would be down within a block of your house. On the west side you might get limited use out of a stud set up. I put mine on after Halloween and road in the mud with them. I could see you running them over there on trails that would be wet but if you should hit a patch of ice you would know you had some traction. I think REI sells them but at $90 each you might think twice. I bought mine at Bikeman in Maine and they were $70 each. Another tire I like but I wouldnt ride it on ice/snow is the Kenda Nevegal. Its just a good all around tire for year round use.

·
Registered
373 Posts
dlbennett said:
The blur needs some new tread and I want to get some opinions.
On the hardtail I have IRC Trail Bears which are a great 2.2 tires for winter as you can easily run a lower pressure per volume. I may get another set of these but I am curious what other riders fancy for our local winter conditions.

Thanx in advance.

db
Those IRC Trail Bears are a great choice already (good price too). That's what I run in winter and have for two years now (into my tenth western winter). So I wouldn't fix what ain't broke! On the other hand, if you still feel that 'itch' for new rubber regardless (that magic bullet we all seek from time to time), you might consider the new 2.24 WTB Moto Raptor Race, which is nearly identical, has the same characteristics, but is much lighter than the Trail Bear. It's enough to notice anyway. I'm running the Moto Raptors on a second bike now and will probably replace the Trail Bears on the other with these eventually as well. So consider trying them on your higher-end Blur. Their lower weight will help preserve that bike's touted sprinting characteristics yet still keep you upright and moving forward in winter. ;-)

(Just make sure they're the 'Race' version, around 600 grams, $25 per @ Pricepoint)

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I might give those a shot as I need to keep the IRC's on the hardtail. I will look into the race version....
SRR said:
(Just make sure they're the 'Race' version, around 600 grams, $25 per @ Pricepoint)

·
That's ok I'll walk it...
240 Posts
I was running Trail Bear in front and Specialized Endur on the rear for last winter and part of this winter. The Specialized did great in the rear, hate the Trail Bear for winter.

I do run Trail Bear all summer and had no complaints.

I just switched to Kenda Nevegal in the rear and Kenda Blue Groove in front. I need to get some more rides in, but I can tell on three rides now that the front wheel grips much better then the Trail Bear did.

Hawkens

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hawkens said:
I was running Trail Bear in front and Specialized Endur on the rear for last winter and part of this winter. The Specialized did great in the rear, hate the Trail Bear for winter.

I do run Trail Bear all summer and had no complaints.

I just switched to Kenda Nevegal in the rear and Kenda Blue Groove in front. I need to get some more rides in, but I can tell on three rides now that the front wheel grips much better then the Trail Bear did.

Hawkens
I always say the best tire is the one you can ride once, then forget about. Well, I forgot about MY Trails Bears after the first ride, and have ever since (until they were mentioned above). So I really don't think much about tires for long, if they're good. If I am thinking about them after a few rides, well, chances are they're gonna end up in the rafters, like the many *hot* tires I already have hanging. Even so, I don't think tires really make that much difference personally; it's all about what gives you the most confidence (very subjective). And one too many biffs -- or a bad day -- is all it takes to spoil things for a given tire, regardless of what others say, how glowing the reviews, how much you paid, or how good the tires actually happen to be. Yours is a case in point. I've been riding Bears in Cap clay and muck -- rocks, roots, the works! -- for a long time now (3 sets) -- HARD -- and have known few tires that I'm so comfortable heeling over in almost every circumstance, especially when it's wet. Hell, my partner runs Blue Grooves like you, yet washes out as often or more than I do! It's too bad you had a bad experience with these worthy tires, just as I have with some others, which ended up in the rafters after only a few rides. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the tire at all -- just the conjunction of stars and moon (or rocks and roots). Problem is, unless everything is conjoined just right with a new tire, you might never learn to relax with them going into the next corner. ;-)

·
El Malo
549 Posts
I must agreet that if you are happy with the Trail Bears, stick to them. These are great for XC and some light FR.
These are next of kin to the famous Kujo's, which I ran as my main tyre for a couple of years (2.25's). In fact, they are still on my old hardtail which I took out on a nice ride lasnite (25-29°, brrrr it was chilly).
I think they also come in 2.35's and that would be my choice, but clearance in the back does not allow it.

If you think you'll be doing more aggressive type riding, like stunts, I recommend you go to a Maxxis Minion. These are excellent wet and winter type tyres. If you notice, the knobs appear to be siped and that gives you much better traction control. Also, they roll nice... pretty fast and they're actually not bad in shedding mud.
You can pick up a set of these in single ply only in size 2.25. If you need 2-ply, you'll have to go to a 2.5 DH.

Good LUck -

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$14.98 IRC Trailbears at PricePoint

right now. Year end clearance. Get them while you can. Same price I paid for them on sale at Superslo last year!!!!!!!

db

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.