Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I Have This Friend in Charlotte.....he used to live in the sf bay area (where i live) but has been in charlotte for the past couple of years. we talk a lot about my mtn. biking exploits and he gives me this tale of woes about how he doesn't ride because he lives in north carolina, yada, yada, yada. i tell him, wait a sec, from what i've seen at mtbr there's some great riding around charlotte and throughout n.c. for that matter.

so i thought i'd ask if you could recommend some good trails within a reasonable distance from charlotte so i can tell him to get off his butt!!

thanks!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
cohenfive said:
OK, So I Have This Friend in Charlotte.....he used to live in the sf bay area (where i live) but has been in charlotte for the past couple of years. we talk a lot about my mtn. biking exploits and he gives me this tale of woes about how he doesn't ride because he lives in north carolina, yada, yada, yada. i tell him, wait a sec, from what i've seen at mtbr there's some great riding around charlotte and throughout n.c. for that matter.

so i thought i'd ask if you could recommend some good trails within a reasonable distance from charlotte so i can tell him to get off his butt!!

thanks!
There are a ton of trails in and around Charlotte. Beech Springs (Poplar Tent exit off of 85) is just North of Charlotte, Catawba is just South (Sam Wilson Exit off 77), North Mecklenburg Park in Huntersville, plus quite a few others.
For descriptions and directions check out smallbrowndog.com
Charlotte really does have a pretty good mountain bike scene. What part of Charlotte does he live in? He might be within biking distance to some trails!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also, check out tarheeltrailblazers.com. They are the local club that builds and maintains most of the public trails.

Catawba Riverfront park is off I-85, not I-77. Take the Sam Wilson exit. They are about to build a Whitewater Park there, so ride it while you can. It's one of the better rides in the immediate area. (Get a map or meet someone there that knows the trail. It can get a little confusing for 1st-timers. There is a good map on the Trailblazer's site).

For some longer, more technical rides, Pisgah and Dupont are just a couple of hours away. Check out mtbikewnc.com for some great trail options. You can't go wrong in Pisgah.

This is a GREAT area for mountain biking. You just have to know where to look.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sadlebred said:
www.smallbrowndog.com. All you need to know for Charlotte riding.

Oh, and www.southeasterncycling.com.
First i've heard of the S.E, Cycliing link. Went to check it out and from a Raleigh perspective it was WAY out of date, very inaccurate, and not very representative. (Says that Newlight is the only decent ride east of Tsali.... need I say more?)

Not dissing the site, just recommending that you verify what you read there.

On the other hand, SmallBrownDog has everything you need to know about riding in and around Charlotte, including a great community to hook up with.

Tell your buddy that Pisgah is among the best riding anywhere, and it is only 2-3 hours from Charlotte... He needs to be kicked in the arse, as there are very good trails in charlotte, and some of the best anywhere for multiple day-trips....

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
bmateo said:
(Says that Newlight is the only decent ride east of Tsali.... need I say more?)
New Light is cool and all but the only decent ride? LOL!!! All of Pisgah is east of Tsali, nevermind the other hundreds of miles of singletrack.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the Info!!!

hah, i've already kicked him about his lame excuses. to further incent him, i've also invited him on a fall multi-day ride out west as it seems i won a 50% discount off some really cool rides....not sure i can go yet but i'm trying...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.