Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to what everyone is riding for tires. I'm looking at either Exiwolfs or Ignitors for here in Colorado. Those seem to be the most popular tires by chance too in the forums....but curious what people are riding. I'm 6' 2", 220-230lbs (depending on what beer specials are). On my 26" Ellsworth Truth I run a WTB Mutano Raptor up front and a Michlin Hot in back and my Surly 1x1 with 2.5 Weirfwolfs. I'm building an On-One with a rigid fork so hence my semi-intrest in the 2.3 Exiwolfs.

Feeback more than welcome.

I'll probably be riding either CXP 30 rims on Zipp hubs or Open Pro's on something like DT 240s.

-Jon

Tons of 26" tires
A few wheelsets
Loads of stems, brakes, seats, and more. Road and MTB. 650 LEW Rear Shimano, 650 Calfee/Reynold's Full carbon fork too.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Exi's..

My personal current favourites are the WTB Exiwolf's.

Maybe a little bit heavier and a little slower than most of the other 29'er tires, but they perform very well for me as long as I keep the pressure around 30 psi.

Over that pressure they get a bit "bouncy", and under that they tend to bottom out over the rocks here where I ride...

I especially like the side-wall strength of the Exi's, they dont get cut up in the rocks like lighter sidewalled tires tend to.

I use them with tubes.

R.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ignitors

running the Ignitors front and back now, nice rolling and what not. The compound is a little soft though, so I`ll see how they hold up, also the sidewalls are a bit to thin to risk bomming through the rockgardens.

They are light though and at 25 or so psi they are great, for me at least(125lbs)

I'm building an On-One with a rigid fork so hence my semi-intrest in the 2.3 Exiwolfs.
With the rigid fork though go with the Exi`s for a extra little squish to ride.

Keep it upright.
Whit

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just bought...

an Ignitor for the rear and running an Exi up front. Had both Exi's but felt a little sluggish at the end of the rides. We'll see how the Ignitor does. Also had Nano rear and Exi up front - nice combo, rolls FAST in the rear but lacks traction.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
What is a Noto?

At first I thought there was a typo and you meant "Nano", but it looks like there's a tire called a "noto." What is it?

Second thought, What's a good combo for norcal in the winter? Not real muddy around here, but it sure gets slippery on top some days. I have ritchey z-max on my 26 inch Single speed, and I like the traction even though they roll slow. My FS has mutanoraptors on it now, and it feels like a kayak in the mud. I like the Mutano for the usual dry stuff, but good lordy do they suck in the wet!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My usual tire setup is Exi front and Nano rear. I tried Nano F/R on a rigid bike and switched the front out to the Exi after one ride. The extra volume of the Exi is great for a little cush on a rigid ride. Right now I am running Exis f/r for the winter. I don't know if they are a good winter snow tire, but they are the biggest tire so I figured they would work. The problem is right now we have no snow. Once winter is over I will be trying out Ignitors (have already) and Specializeds Fast Trak (on order), and hopefully one pair will be tryed on a new bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been ronning an exi on the front and a mythos on the rear. I had two exis on there but I really didn't like the exi in the rear all that much. The mythos climbs alot more smoother. I also have a pair of kenda klaws that are really fun in the mud.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
Fast tracks

I've been running the Specialized Fast Tracks for a couple of weeks and have been very impressed thus far - but haven't yet taken them on trails, just dirt and snow-covered roads. That'll change tomorrow :)

They are light, fast rolling, and supple. What's more, they fit the rim tight, like a tire should. So far I'd say the casing is pretty strong as well - but we'll see after they get some real abuse.

Been running the nano rear/moto front combo for most of the season, with the occasional ACX & Exi thrown in for variety, & kenda klaws for mud conditions.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
my favorites...

I'm a big fan of the big Jones XRs. The front tire, in particular is a great all-conditions tire for riding and racing. I also like the Exiwolf a lot on the front -- in particular since I run the steel bead DNA Exi tubeless, which makes for a super sweet, high-volume ride.

On the rear, I usually run WTB steel bead tires. Due to the limited clearance in my Dos Niner, I typically run either a Nanoraptor or a 2.1 Motoraptor (tubeless) on that bike. The Nano is the speed king, but I'm not a fan of it on the front. The Motoraptor is a deceptively good rear tire, especially once it gets worn in a little.

I'm looking forward to trying the 1.8 Jones XR, but I've decided not to jump on the FastTrack bandwagon just yet...

Cheers,
MG

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Igniter Front, Motoraptor Rear

2Tall said:
I'll second the Fast Trak's, best combo of grip, weight, volume and overall ride quality that I have found.
Igniter Front, Motoraptor Rear is the blue-chip combo for around here.

I'm running a new set of Fast Traks right now. Pretty good tire, given the small volume. I'd probably call them excellent race tires. Nice and fast rolling. But they get a little drifty when you push them through a high speed gravel arc.

I find the Jones ACX and Exi to be almost as good front tires as Ignitor, maybe better for really sandy conditions. Neither Jones nor ACX has proven to be tough enough to last very long as a rear. I also like the Exi really well, especially in sandy conditions but have never tried it on the back. It would probably give me grief with my front derailleur, and the tread pattern just doesn't seem right for a rear at all.

For rear, Moto. Dual DNA. Wire bead is fine. I haven't found a nearly as good tire for the back.

YMMV.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
Moto

My 26 experience has led me to Motoraptor 2.4/Conti Vertical 2.35 combo as best for dry/rocky/loose desert riding. So when I got the KM I went with dual Motoraptors - with good results! I love the grip and durability of the Motos. If WTB made a Moto29er in 2.4 width I would convert immediately!
When the FastTrak 29 came out, I bought one to encourage such behavior - but haven't mounted it yet. It seems very similar to my 26" Vertical in knob spacing and compound hardness, so I plan to run it as a front despite some disparaging words here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.