Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a clear-cut favorite tire for the kind of terrain we have on the Front Range? I'm thinking something with a strong sidewall that's good on rocks from scree to babyheads. I don't race and frankly don't ride very aggressively but want something I can depend on to hook up across the wide range of conditions we face here. Tubeless, folding, 29's please.

Thx!

·
Registered
534 Posts
For less aggressive and/or XC riding, I love the Michelin Wild Rac'er.

For more aggressive, AM style riding their Wild Grip'er model is nice.

I've also had good luck with Continental Race Kings, Geax AKA and WTB Bronson.

All of the above will work tubeless.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Same question every other month...
Cheek Skin Chin Forehead Joint

But to be helpful I'll give you a quick non brand based guide.

More knobs = more traction but more rolling resistance
Less knobs = less traction but will roll faster
Width: bigger is more traction and will soften the ride but will weigh more
Sticky compound = more grip but will wear out faster
Any non UST tire can be run tubeless with enough sealant (except Kendas, their non UST will erode and explode)

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
For me I'm Maxxis for life. Quality.

Well I had one pair of Kenda Nevegal USTs that lasted 2 years without changing the sealant. Must have been a freak of nature as I've had another 2 puncture and 2 literally blow through the sidewall off the rim.

·
Chairman of the Beard
756 Posts
I really liked Ardents in the 29 x 2.4 sizeway. Good combination of rolling resistance, grip, and wear life. Minions grip moar but roll slowar.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Got a pair of 650b hans Damfs after all the great reviews. Not a terrible tire but I don't love 'em. Still prefer the conti trail king or Minion on the front.

Whatever though, as long as they are fat and knobby like the girls in LoDo.
I ripped the sidewalls out on my Hans Damfs after the second ride... The shortest lasting tire I have ever ridden, and for the price...Meh

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
granted, I haven't ridden here much on them as I just moved here, but I'm in love with my Panaracer Cedric Gracia 29 2.25 rear tire. super grippy with the knobs and fast rolling at the same time. plenty of volume for my rigid SS. also impressed with my Panaracer Rampage on the front.

J.
Go bigger! Minion DHF/DHR2, 2.5/2.3 29er. You won't win any climbs, but talk about a set of monster truckin' sneakers!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Minion DHF front and Highroller rear. Or just Minion DHF front and back. I wouldn't go for a dhr as they roll kinda slow. For less aggressive XC, an ardent is good I've heard but I've been running these combos for years and love it. I used to like to run the soft 42a compound on the front and 60a on the rear but it's getting hard to find the 42 anymore so I've been getting the 3c for my front tire and the 60a for the back since the back tires seem to wear out a little faster anyways. I've used the specialized butcher, storm, and butcher tires on my dh bikes and liked them but never rode their trail bike tires. The butcher in a single ply would probably be a pretty good combo front and back just from the tread profile.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.