Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got word from Yakima that they don't plan on providing a way to fit their crossbars to the new model Nissan Pathfinder. Looks like I'm going to have to get Thule crossbars. I'm going to be switching to my first 20mm through axle fork with a Fox 36 on my Ellsworth Moment and I need some advice on how to carry the bike.

I perfer to mount my bikes on the roof and it looks like I have the option of using a Fork Up with a regular fork mount, a Thule Super G, a Yakima Cobra (or King Cobra) or a Sportworks Bob Ratchet.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the above mounts or another solution?

Thanks.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
36 huh! That should rock on the Moment. I found I liked the Moment best with about 140mm of travel. Have fun.

-------------------------------------------------------------
back on topic....I have a king cobra and a standard cobra and really like them both. If I had to buy another I would get the Cobra model as the lock is the only upgrade to the king model and it is not all that great. It holds big 2.5 Kenda tires with ease. I have tested it with speeds up to 90mph (standard open highway speed in the ATL:D ) and it is stable and secure.

I am using Thule crossbars too.

Attachments

·
Who pickin the banjo?
286 Posts
Sportworks Bob Ratchet

Real secure and with a lot less bulk than the Yakima and Thule offerings.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
IMO I wouldn't bother with a roof rack. Man you have a path finder. Get yourself a hitch rack from sportsworks. You won't have to take your tire off and on and it is very easy to put your bike in and go. Last thing....w/gas prices going up (Cali will be over 3 bucks a gallon) A hitch rack will get better gas mileage

·
soulrider
21 Posts
rack

i agree with smt, for two reasons. 1 the hitch rack is much easier to load bikes on. 2 it will probably cost less ( not really shure here) If you are going to go with the roof rack get the cobra i have them, and belive me i reasearched racks before i dropped 500 bucks on a set. This price was for the whole system tho.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
slotownfr said:
i agree with smt, for two reasons. 1 the hitch rack is much easier to load bikes on. 2 it will probably cost less ( not really shure here) If you are going to go with the roof rack get the cobra i have them, and belive me i reasearched racks before i dropped 500 bucks on a set. This price was for the whole system tho.
like 300 or 400 for the sportsworks....the best rack in the biz hands down....ask red

·
Registered
129 Posts
I really wanted a hitch rack for my ride but went roof instead. the king cobra is pretty handy, i would certainly reccommend it. and it will work on thule bars no prob, thats what mine is on right now! :D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
goridewrx said:
I really wanted a hitch rack for my ride but went roof instead. the king cobra is pretty handy, i would certainly reccommend it. and it will work on thule bars no prob, thats what mine is on right now! :D
2 words

Gas mileage

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$
889 Posts
Own the King Cobra but Covet the Sportworks...

Been using a King Cobra for the last couple years. It works great and is fairly simple but if I had to buy a rack all over again, I would seriously consider the Sportworks. My buddy recently got a Sportworks rack. Not sure if it's the Bob Ratchet but it is their "Freeride" version with the wider trays and that thing is the epitome of simplicity - drop the bike into the tray, pull over the wheel stabilizing arm and cinch the wheels.

The King Cobra has this little knob you need to secure into place then crank down to secure the front wheel. On my setup it comes into contact with the fairing and requires a little "fiddling" in order to secure it. This is probably why I see so many people run this rack backwards (front wheel to the back of the car) - or maybe I'm the backwards one :D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The Yakima Copperhead is the best on-top bike rack I've used, and I've used most of them. It fits Yak or Thule bars, and is significantly cheaper than the Viper. Haven't seen an upright rack that is worth owning - they are all too chintzy and the bikes wobble all over.

A hitch rack is your best option. Easier to load, no front wheel removal, better mpg, and you can drive it into the garage.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
watermoccasin said:
Haven't seen an upright rack that is worth owning - they are all too chintzy and the bikes wobble all over.
Them's fighten' werds! :p I've expressed my displeasure with the screwy Red Knob on my Cobra, but you can bet I wouldn't use it if it wasn't secure. Last I checked, neither the Cobra nor the Bob Ratchet nor the Super-G were dropping bikes off of roof-tops. I've done some pretty lengthy road trips with road & mountain bikes, and the Cobra's been mostly trouble free (had to put a spring washer under the screwy Red Knob).

Is Yakima making some sort of 20mm adapter for that Copperhead yet? Even if, I can't imagine wanting to mess with that just to stash a bike on the roof.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
James, is this the new Sportworks Transport II? Do these actually exist?

Is that a friggin' Horst link pivot, or just a faux-bar? ;)

Very interesting... plastic front wheel tray and slider for the rear wheel -- ala the Saris design, which I liked very much.

Any changes to the wheel hold-down cane?

Compatible with 29"er and 700c wheels?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been using Thule Super G's for 8 months now. I like them, no problems so far. They're super easy, don't have to remove front wheel. loading and unloading the bikes is easier w/ the super G than w/ the Yak king cobras. The super G, also has an integrated cable lock. True though w/ a couple big bikes on top, I do notice a slight difference in gas mileage. I just prefer having them on top.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.