Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of all the great rides on Kauai, which would you rank the best? Can be a crazy hard technical singletrack, a leisurely fireroad, or anything inbetween.

·
TiFreak
111 Posts
Start off with Moalepe trail then come out at the arboretum. Then head up into the hunting area's and chill at blue hole staring into Waialeale crater.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Envelope Please...

This year's winner in the category of black diamond, cry for your mommy XC, the winner is:

Ol' Dirty Bastard

Sorry, I meant Kalepa Ridge

Attachments

·
Sign Killa
73 Posts
SevenSola said:
Start off with Moalepe trail then come out at the arboretum. Then head up into the hunting area's and chill at blue hole staring into Waialeale crater.
I'll second that, with a small addition: start off with Kuamoo trail (about 0.5 mile past Opaekaa falls) and cruise up Olohena rd. to Moalepe. Those 2 miles or so are probably my favorite 2 miles on Kauai.

Careful on the way home... I found out the HARD way that these odd-looking creatures will run out in front of you without warning:

Attachments

·
TiFreak
111 Posts
I live about 100 yards from that sign. Once in a while I do hit the sleeping giant trail on the backside your talking about Wu. IMO the best way for that trail is from Olohena side first and come out on Kuamoo.

·
slaving away in paradise
365 Posts
wu-wei said:
I'll second that, with a small addition: start off with Kuamoo trail (about 0.5 mile past Opaekaa falls) and cruise up Olohena rd. to Moalepe. Those 2 miles or so are probably my favorite 2 miles on Kauai.

Careful on the way home... I found out the HARD way that these odd-looking creatures will run out in front of you without warning:
may I suggest one of these?

·
Sign Killa
73 Posts
SevenSola said:
Once in a while I do hit the sleeping giant trail on the backside your talking about Wu. IMO the best way for that trail is from Olohena side first and come out on Kuamoo.
I usually hit it both ways. I've yet to make the climb up from Olohena to the trail proper.
I know it's makable if dry, but I always run out of gas. :madman:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would any of you guys be willing to hook me up with some of those "trails that dont really exist"? I am coming in on Friday and staying until next Friday. I have seen pictures, but don't know my way around. I would love to do an all-mountain style ride (XC kinda trails with man made obstacles that are fairly good size).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lets go

Hey SevenSola me and my xc racing team are coming in from Durango and want to hook up on that 5 hour ride you do on Sundays. We'll be here in 2 weeks, where do you start every Sunday? 5 hours sounds perfect to keep with our training schedule.

·
TiFreak
111 Posts
Hey what's up TeamDurango? If you wanna do my ride with me that's cool. But I am probably not the same caliber of rider as you and your team but I'll try to keep up with you guy's. Anyway I live in Wailua on the east side of the island and I leave straight from my house. Just pm me before you get here and I'll give you my number and direction's.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Does the canyon ride to Waimea count....?

Even though it wasn't on a mountain bike?

Just got back from Kauai for a family vacation....got a chance to take some time away from the wife and kids on one of the days, due to a great wife and the fact that Father's Day fell during our vacation trip, and dad deserved some time to himself.

So, I spent one full day in Paradise on two wheels. Started out by renting a Buell XB9SX from Kauai HD. Went up to Waimea Canyon from the far side (Kekaha beach), then up past the museum to the Kalalau Lookout. Then back down the other road, back to our hotel in Wailua. Picked up my jersey and shorts (forgot my spds) and went to Kauai Cycle and Tour in Kapaa and rented a Specialized hardtail for a couple of hours to ride the Kealia trails. If I had more time, I would have preferred to have ridden Kalepa ridge, which I've ridden before, several years ago. But since the Buell had to be back by 5pm, I couldn't afford the time it would take for me to get a good ride in at Kalepa ridge. That, and the fact that they didn't have a full sus bike in my size.

This was my second time riding the Kealia trails, which is a nice mellow trail for the most part (a few rock gardens here and there). But I always think how nice it would be to have a local show me the best way through the network. It seems I found myself saying that the trail would be good in the other direction, once or twice. It was nice to wander around and explore, but to maximize the fun factor, a bit of local knowledge would have helped. And with the time constraint, I took the jeep road back to the shop.

Always a great trip, whenever we go to Hawaii, and Kauai is our favorite island. It truly is Paradise. Maybe next time I'll try renting a dirt bike (used to ride a YZ125 way back when). 7 days is just too short for a vacation there.

My daughter and I also did the ATV tour at Kipu Ranch.

-g

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I could use a bit of advice. I've been to Kauai before but didn't bike. I'd like to get out once this time at least. Expert level, technical would be good. More important would be to get into the rain forest. From the pictures I saw of the powerline trail I'm wondering if the higher elevations aren't a mistake due to mud? Man, those were some gnarly pictures. Waialeale crater looks awesome. How's that ride?
Is it worth me dragging shoes and pedals over or should I just deal with flats if I'm only going to get one good ride in.
Thanks

·
Uncle
4,332 Posts
Bump -- What he said

dirtdonk said:
I could use a bit of advice. I've been to Kauai before but didn't bike. I'd like to get out once this time at least. Expert level, technical would be good. More important would be to get into the rain forest. From the pictures I saw of the powerline trail I'm wondering if the higher elevations aren't a mistake due to mud? Man, those were some gnarly pictures. Waialeale crater looks awesome. How's that ride?
Is it worth me dragging shoes and pedals over or should I just deal with flats if I'm only going to get one good ride in.
Thanks
Will be there in early August, and I'd be happy to get one good xc ride in while there, on a rental (or loaner?) of course.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts