Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be finishing my commuter build in the next week or two, and need to grab a few final parts. One item on my list would be a set of pedals. I run CB Candy SL's on my MTB and I have some pinned bmx platforms on my current commuter/mtb. I like the platform part, but the pins chew up my footwear a bunch.

I've seen a handful of options for city bikes, but a lot of them just look like cheap pedals. I'll use something like that if that's what fits (I'm possibly looking at the ones with built-in blinkie yellow LED's) but I'm curious if anyone has any strong favorites otherwise.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
MKS makes a smooth faced aluminum platform pedal. I used a set on my roadie for a year or so- quality is a little less than I expected from MKS (rough casting), but still pretty good. I`d still be using them if the platforms were a little bigger. I`m kicking around the idea of welding on a little more, but can measure them "as is" and let you know exactly how big they are if you`re interrested in ordering a set.

MKS GR-9 Platform Pedal - harriscyclery.net

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
I would hate to give up the pinned part of my platforms, I love the grip. I would consider better shoes that won't get chewed up. My Five Ten Impacts show no signs of wear.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would hate to give up the pinned part of my platforms, I love the grip. I would consider better shoes that won't get chewed up. My Five Ten Impacts show no signs of wear.
my whole point of wanting pedals that won't chew up my footwear is so I don't need to have shoes just for biking. If I was going to do that, I'd just go clipless

·
since 4/10/2009
34,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nate, what's your footwear?
anything from Chacos to running shoes to Asolo boots depending on what I need to do that day and the weather.

Looking at trying BMX resin pedals. Not expensive, and have pins molded into the plastic. They come in cool colors as well.
I was looking at some of these at my LBS today. They might work, but was curious if they'd provide enough traction.

Yeah, I don't want my feet slipping off the pedals, but I don't think rain will be much of a concern for me for a very long time.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
anything from Chacos to running shoes to Asolo boots depending on what I need to do that day and the weather.

I was looking at some of these at my LBS today. They might work, but was curious if they'd provide enough traction.

Yeah, I don't want my feet slipping off the pedals, but I don't think rain will be much of a concern for me for a very long time.
got a Dremel or similar? maybe shape the pins a bit?
many stock ones (that screw from the inside - as opposed from the even skinnier hex-head ones) have burrs.
rounding them off (maybe even favoring a direction [i.e. F<->R]) might be the ticket.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got a Dremel or similar? maybe shape the pins a bit?
many stock ones (that screw from the inside - as opposed from the even skinnier hex-head ones) have burrs.
rounding them off (maybe even favoring a direction [i.e. F<->R]) might be the ticket.
that's an idea.

I'll take a look at the platforms on my HT. they're pinned platforms that chew up footwear. they haven't done much to my chacos or boots, but they've absolutely chewed my old running shoes to hell to the point that they're my yard work shoes now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Overly grippy? How`s that?

I`m planning a new build this winter, and thinking hard about those MG-1s. Compared to the pinned pedals I have on my commuter/tourer, those are roughly the same platform size, and I could lose about 100g for an extra $20.
At times I have issues moving my feet around on the pedals. Think setting youself up to hop a curb, that you have to get over quickly. Sometimes the pedals just won't let me move my feet without lifting them off my pedals creating some issues for me. They use set screws which can really cut into things. I've really cut my shins up on them many times and that includes carrying my bike up steps and brushing against the pedals.

The Crank Bros pins aren't so sharp. They grip, but not enough to stop small movements to get you in balance with your bike. They are also larger and easier to find when you put your foot back on the pedal from jumping or balancing youself. There just a better engineered pedals. But, they are heavier than the MG-1 pedals. The new 5050 pedals are supposed to be lighter though.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
I can see that about having to pick up your foot. I do have that issue, and now that you mention it, it can and be a hassle at times. Now that you`ve pointed it out, it`s going to bug me for ever. Thanks, buddy :D

The 50/50s look like they`re still a little heavier than the MG-1s. The Jenson writeup for them says they have real bearings, which would probably explain the weight difference- my Wellgos (B-25s) only have ball bearings on one end, and I think the MGs also use a plain bushing where the CBs have roller bearings. I guess we just can`t have our cake and eat it too.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
I can see that about having to pick up your foot. I do have that issue, and now that you mention it, it can and be a hassle at times. Now that you`ve pointed it out, it`s going to bug me for ever. Thanks, buddy :D
ESPECIALLY sucks at intersection restarts where you really have to be focused and that little misplacement distracts the fcuk out of you until you are clear, seated and can get reset :madmax::madman::nono::eekster::confused::eek:;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.