Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite f/s frame design?

I've ridden a few, but i do like the classic single pivot. Recently got myself a superlight copy (too bad it's not actually as light as a superlight), the khs xc504.

let's hear some convincing arguments, people!

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
FSR Horst Leitner link. Best IMO.

I own 2 single pivots (no fsr) due to durability.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
I went with a 4 bar design after reading about the pros and cons of the current designs like 5+years ago. Single pivots arent something I like riding even though they work for others. Getting a design that is active in everything is the way go IMO. There is no design that actually does all that but I think 4bars come pretty close to that.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Fsr

I have my enduro FSR which I love. I also have a Trek Fuel, with the cantelever thing (I don't know what it's called). FSR is much better. The Specalized web site has a good comparison of different suspension designs, complete with nice animations. Of course they say that theirs is the best, but it's still interesting to see.

*Bonus question: Do you know what FSR stands for?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
After having been on VPP for a while now, I REALLY miss my 1st dually - Gary Fisher Joshua. Remember that good ol' URT design. :p :D ;)

G

·
I love the 4 bar Horst link designs

for overall riding performance. I own a Specialized FSR and love the way it rides. I will definitely consider that design next time I buy a frame, but I may go to a different manufacturer (nothing against Specialized, but I do like the Turner and Ellsworth designs too).

The only down side to the four bar for me is that in the UK the bearings take a beating due to the very wet conditions. In my opinion, well-built single pivots have a distinct advantage in maintenance. One thing's for sure, I will never buy a "faux bar" single pivot; I want four bar performance along with all those extra bearings!!!!

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Turner / Horst Link

I have owned a Y22, Rocky Mountain Element, Titus Loco Moto, and now a 5 Spot. There really is a difference with the horst link. I like the Turner design for many reasons plus the uninterupted seat tube.

G

·
Actually, that's one reason Turner gets such

good reviews in the UK; high quality bushings with grease ports. One UK rag said that the Turner design was so good, you could hardly be blamed for thinking he's a Brit (ok that's a bit of an exaggeration with the state of UK manufacturing, but you get the point)!

In my FSR I've gone to stainless bearings which are far, far better than the stock Specialized bearings, so I think I'm set until I get my next frame.

·
Registered
71 Posts
steve3 said:
I also have to say I don't own a Turner. I ride a Fluffy Mountain Master.

Got it???? ;)
"Show me the money" on Tuesday

Also so you know

Monkeyboy is my brother (by a different mother) and one of the coolest guys you will ever meet (If you show) so please don't bash him, I take offense to that

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
The FSR is an amazing design and I love riding mine, but I just love the Mantra and its URT even more. It was stiff, fast, and climbed like a monkey. Much better performance than my Stumpjumper even with its crap Fox Alps 5.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.