Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
15,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the COVID restrictions the past few months I've been doing lots of organizing and tidying up of my actual, virtual, and mental spaces.

Recently I came across a photo that I hadn't seen in a few years and actually had some time to just sit and look at it. The more I looked, the more I liked it.

In some weird way it fits this dystopian moment.

Location is Alaska's Lost Coast, near the Kaliakh River mouth.

I found this abstract about the wreck:
"The barge Yakutat drug anchor in the Kaliakh River, swamped and foundered west of Cape Yakataga and north of the Kaliakh River September 14, 1979. Two men were washed overboard and lost. A 15 year old girl held on to the wreckage all night and then swam to shore at daybreak."

We rode our fatbikes past it on a fatbike/packraft traverse of the Lost Coast's northern section in the late summer of 2016.

Full trip writeup is here.

Got a favorite of your own? Share it here, along with a few words of explication.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,678 Posts
My Surly Pugsley, the first bike that really made me appreciate the benefits of fatter-than-normal tires in my desert riding habitat. Probably a big factor in why I still enjoy “Plus” tires while most are abandoning them.

Brown’s Ranch area - Scottsdale, AZ - 2015

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
One of my favorite is not mine so I’ll place a request if the lines are open.

Mike,
2010-2012 time frame you posted a silhouette shot of your Moots against the Northern lights. I think you posted another couple of attempts at similar over the years but fairly certain the first one was it. I think it might have had a red tail glowing too. At the time I used it as an open screen on my first iPod Touch. Still on there sitting in a drawer somewhere.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This is pretty cool shot at sunset, from a lady that was enjoying the sunset with her dog, on Beaver island.

IMG_9735.JPG

Summer solstice ride.
IMG_9762a.jpg

·
This place needs an enema
15,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my favorite is not mine so I’ll place a request if the lines are open.

Mike,
2010-2012 time frame you posted a silhouette shot of your Moots against the Northern lights. I think you posted another couple of attempts at similar over the years but fairly certain the first one was it. I think it might have had a red tail glowing too. At the time I used it as an open screen on my first iPod Touch. Still on there sitting in a drawer somewhere.

I *think* the shot you're after is found in this post:

Big Wheel Building: Well blow me down.

·
Registered
502 Posts
07395DFF-08E6-4AE3-AAD7-ED38511E94A6.jpg

This photo from a couple of years ago depicts our variable winter conditions here in the Upstate NY. Wearing a set of wheels from Mikesee of course...!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
With the COVID restrictions the past few months I've been doing lots of organizing and tidying up of my actual, virtual, and mental spaces.

Recently I came across a photo that I hadn't seen in a few years and actually had some time to just sit and look at it. The more I looked, the more I liked it.

In some weird way it fits this dystopian moment.

Location is Alaska's Lost Coast, near the Kaliakh River mouth.

I found this abstract about the wreck:
"The barge Yakutat drug anchor in the Kaliakh River, swamped and foundered west of Cape Yakataga and north of the Kaliakh River September 14, 1979. Two men were washed overboard and lost. A 15 year old girl held on to the wreckage all night and then swam to shore at daybreak."

We rode our fatbikes past it on a fatbike/packraft traverse of the Lost Coast's northern section in the late summer of 2016.

Full trip writeup is here.

Got a favorite of your own? Share it here, along with a few words of explication.

That is a great picture

·
Professional Crastinator
6,122 Posts
One of 'em is mikesee's, from the Wrangells:
Wrangells.jpg

One of 'em is also from this site (sorry, no credit :blush:):
WaterSwept1.jpg

And one is mine, from a fine morning of easy trail breaking:
100_0074.jpg

The fatbike is a source of so much enjoyment I could post 5 more easily.

-F

1 - 20 of 56 Posts