Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
oooh, shiny...
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try and get away more this summer and hit up some nice places to camp. Where does everyone like to go? I'm talking about just driving down a dirt road and setting up shop. None of this KOA crap. Nice singletrack nearby would be a plus but not a necessity. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
566 Posts
We love the Woods Canyon Lake area, on the rim. It's a nice escape from the oven (Phoenix). There are tons of campgrounds on the forest roads, and the weather is great. There are some trails in that area, but I haven't ridden any of them.

·
EDR
10,303 Posts
I like the area near Tonto Creek for close to home camping. The road is a left hand turn off of 260 a few miles before Christopher Creek Campground half way up the rim. This location gets a lot of rain and it's absolutely lush green. You can fish in Tonto and if you park near the bridge (right at Upper Tonto Creek Campground) Horton Creek :(and Horton Trail) make a wonderful day hike. If you take Horton Trail for about 20 minutes then drop down into the creek it's absolutely beautiful. Waterfalls of several feet in places and crystal clear water. My kids can hike up the creek for hours.

You can stay at Upper Tonto campground for a fee or just drive up the road towards the fish hatchery. After a few miles there is a dirt road on the left. I think it says 'to control road' but I could be wrong. There is miles of free camping down that way. If you have kids you gotta take them up to see the hatchery.

From this location you can hit Box Canyon (Box Gorge). It's a gorge with 200 ft quartzite walls. Only 3/4 of a mile hike off 260, before Christopher Creek Campground. You can spend hours making your way from one swimming hole to the next while exploring down there. If you kids under 10 or 12 it might be too much for them to explore but you could just hike down there and check it out.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Lockett meadow in Flag is sweet. Takes a bit more effort to get to it which limits the traffic as well. Also accesses the Inner Basin trails which aren't as well known but very cool.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Great thread Ry :thumbsup: Was looking for some suggestions myself as the wifey and I would like to get away more.

Keep the suggestions coming folks.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,924 Posts
Candy Mountain.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Ry-daddy said:
I'm going to try and get away more this summer and hit up some nice places to camp. Where does everyone like to go? I'm talking about just driving down a dirt road and setting up shop. None of this KOA crap. Nice singletrack nearby would be a plus but not a necessity. Any suggestions?
One of the most unique hikes I could suggest is Aravipa Canyon, especially if you're into birdwatching.

·
sonoranbiker
503 Posts
Top of Schnebly Hill Rd. on the Mogollon rim outside of Sedona. Take Schnebly Hill up to the rim, go a bit past and hang a right on Rd. 152A (I believe). You need high clearance and maybe 4WD to get far on the road. A little exploring will take you to a campsite about 40 feet from the Mogollon Rim, looking down the canyon that Schnebly Hill Rd. comes up. Absolutely beautiful.

Wet Beaver Creek near the Bell Crossing is another one of my favorites, but not for riding. Just for swimming and relaxing. Not a drive-in site.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,924 Posts
Ry-daddy said:
mmmmm. Candy Mountain, sounds yummy! :D
Looks like this.

It's basically the land that's directly north of Sunrise Ski Resort. There are other places in AZ, but this has got to be one of the top.

Attachments

·
MR.FIG
13 Posts
I like the White Mountains area. The east fork of the black river is where we camp. There's a real nice loop just a few miles from Big Lake I did a few years back. I think its about 12 miles long and then I rode back to camp which was about another 8 miles. Not bad for someone who's 255lbs and riding a 36lbs freeride bike. I'll be up there again in July and will be riding the same loop. It probably not to far from the pics that Jayem posted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you like or need a developed FS type campground, Benny Creek on 373 is hard to beat.
Los Burros is also pretty nice, and has access to a fantastic trail system, though it is a popular spot with the quads and guns crowd. It's free, the camp host was awesome, and even gave me access to his firewood. This last weekend, one of my neighbors at LB brought his gas generator to power a TV to entertain his kids and noisily ran it from 8:00 to 9:30pm. You know, for that total nature experience. :skep:

If you don't need the developed amenities, you can always pull off virtually any FS road and set up.

·
oooh, shiny...
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is great!
Thanks for all the postings. Keep em' coming. :thumbsup:

azepic, thanks for the pics. The Rainbow Rim trail was already on my short list for this summer but with views like this now I definitely have to go. I'm thinking maybe mid August.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts