Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for favorite spots, maybe near a lake? Have my sprinter but haven’t spent much time back over there. Feel bikers generally enjoy the quality but not necessarily mainstream sites. Any help appreciated

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I'm curious regarding the same.

·
Autonomous
277 Posts
Last time I was in that area (Mills Peak, etc) I booked a motel room for 3 nights, and realized that $$ quickly added up. So thought I’d do some recon for future trips.
I drove back to Plumas-Eureka State Park, and thought it was nice. Creekside campsites in a historic setting of an old mining town. I think the campground is called Lower Jamison Creek Campground.
However if your looking for solitude, this isn’t the place. Not a party site by any means, but lots of families.
My dos centavos.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For what it's worth, we camped here a couple weekends ago:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/39.8866/-120.4316

You could get up there in a sedan (we didn't).

The undeveloped campsites are obvious right off the road. Didn't see anyone, and I don't think posting here is going to change that. It's up the hill from Lake Davis in case you want to get in the water. Or you can camp right at Lake Davis for $25 a night. We opted for the mountain views and spent the $25 on tacos and beer in Portola.

·
Log off and go ride!
1,874 Posts
Primitive campground at Silver Lake above Meadow Valley.
Lakes Basin Special Recreation Area restricts camping to designated campgrounds. No dispersed camping. However -- look at the forest visitors map for the boundaries. Outside those boundaries dispersed camping is allowed, and not far from lakes.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Lakes Basin campsites are slow opening due to snow. Best bet may be the Bassetts side of the basin. If you are self contained, there is a parking turn out at the actual Mills Peak Trailhead as well as lower Frazier Falls Road. Essentially 2.5 miles from the Brewing Lair. Lake Davis is great right now. You are very likely to a get a spot on the lake. Try Lightening Tree Campground. Its a bit longer drive, but a cool spot. There is also the 8 miles Lake Davis Trail right from your camp.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Last time I was in that area (Mills Peak, etc) I booked a motel room for 3 nights, and realized that $$ quickly added up. So thought I'd do some recon for future trips.
I drove back to Plumas-Eureka State Park, and thought it was nice. Creekside campsites in a historic setting of an old mining town. I think the campground is called Lower Jamison Creek Campground.
However if your looking for solitude, this isn't the place. Not a party site by any means, but lots of families.
My dos centavos.
We camped here last year. Nice campground, and interesting mining history and old mining town with docents you can walk through adjacent to the campground, but as mentioned, not secluded. Also, the only riding from the campground is up the local ski area fire road to Eureka Lake. Steep, dusty and heavily trafficked. The ultimate destination was Downieville, but I'd look for camping near Graeagle mountain biking next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
We camped here last year. Nice campground, and interesting mining history and old mining town with docents you can walk through adjacent to the campground, but as mentioned, not secluded. Also, the only riding from the campground is up the local ski area fire road to Eureka Lake. Steep, dusty and heavily trafficked. The ultimate destination was Downieville, but I'd look for camping near Graeagle mountain biking next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the best descents in Lakes Basin ends right by the Upper Jamison campground. It is a great spot to camp for riding Jamison Creek trail. Bike the johnsville mccrea road up and ride down the jamison creek trail right back to camp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.