Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for locks for our families bikes. I'll most likely have some sort of cable while they are in transit in the truck but what about when we happen to be riding? Our bikes are: Fuel EX7, Roscoe 8, kids 24" Trek mtb and a 20" kids Trek single speed. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Professional Crastinator
6,596 Posts
We DON'T lock the bikes while in transit. I've seen some nasty wear marks and abrasion happen from that. However, if unattended, I have a cable just to throw through the frames.
If we are riding to a location where we will leave the bikes and do another activity, I bring the cable and a lock. It's heavy, but it's easy to lock up a bunch of bikes at the same time. We don't leave them in high crime areas, though.

-F

·
Registered
913 Posts
Before you buy a bike lock, or even a padlock, I urge you head on over to YouTube and check out the Lock Picking Lawyer. I'm astounded at how bad some of the most ubiquitous locks truly are. Looking at you, Master Lock!

I know we can all agree locks are for honest people, but there are some locks that don't even require skill to open. At least do your best to avoid those!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
For locking while on rides, like though town and making stops for lunch, etc., we use OnGuard's cables. They have a coiled cable (maybe more) that comes with hardware that let's you clamp the coil to your bike while riding (like their Doberman #8032). If we're riding with backpacks, we'll pack and use uncoiled OnGuard cable locks instead. But, we only carry cables if we know we're making a stop and the bikes will be unattended. Otherwise, they're to heavy just to have them for no need.

A consideration... if you go with cable locks... consider those with a combination lock versus a key. One less loose thing to keep track of.

By the way, I just happen to use OnGuards because one day long ago I bought one, and just kept buying the same brand for consistency. It's on OCD thing. Good cables though.

·
Fat and bouncy
552 Posts
An Abus 1010 140cm chain, as it's long enough to reach around the frame of 2 bikes and a post, isn't too heavy or bulky (YMMV) and in the UK at least is certified to a standard (Safe Secure Gold) that insurance companies insist on. I'll sometimes add add a cable lock if we're stopping in a town as my wife's bike has QR wheels to stop any quick opportunist wheel thieves.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
If I am not in a high crime area, there are usually some secluded bushes to stash my bike in. If I am in the city etc, my bike comes with me, and if I cannot wheel my bike around on its rear wheel in your establishment, then I won't do business there. When I was commuting, I left a U-bolt for my beater at the police station by the train. It worked well.

As far as lock brands and locking multiple bikes, I recommend focusing first on location. Out of sight, out of mind. Otherwise, a light cable will stop the opportunist, and if you feel like real theft is an issue, without a doubt ride a beater and use something that can withstand backpack size boltcutters.

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
I use an OnGuard Mastiff chain and lock to secure my bike to my truck when it's racked. I only use my chain when I do have to leave my bike alone for a moment.

Mastiff #8019L - OnGuard Locks

The chain I use is too heavy to carry around and lock up your stuff when out and about.
Are you looking to lock your bikes up on the trail or riding through the city?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use an OnGuard Mastiff chain and lock to secure my bike to my truck when it's racked. I only use my chain when I do have to leave my bike alone for a moment.

Mastiff #8019L - OnGuard Locks

The chain I use is too heavy to carry around and lock up your stuff when out and about.
Are you looking to lock your bikes up on the trail or riding through the city?
When we are in a city, on the trails the bikes don't leave our sights. Heading to Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks and will be riding all over and want to be able to lock up around town.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use an insanely heavy hardened chain that I bought at the local industrial hardware. I've put it into some 4" blue flat irrigation hose we had in the barn. I use two heavy padlocks and lock one end around the rear tire and triangle and put the other end through the front wheel. It is then locked under the truck to the trailer hitch mount.

When I'm traveling far, I warp dish towels around the chain and hose to further protect the bike. Note that I put the chain through the lowest point of my wheels between spokes. When traveling, I also put a 1/2" dia hardened cable through the wheels and the frame and lock to the trailer hitch. I've never had a problem with bike damage.

Note also that a bold thief with a cordless angle grinder can cut the best lock in 20 - 30 seconds. Having multiple locks to cut will deter some thieves, but there is no sure way to protect a bike on the back of a vehicle. One of the best features of the sprinter van conversions is the ability to have a bike garage inside the vehicle.

Many (MANY) years ago in grad school in Cambridge mass, I was doing research at the MIT library. As I came out, a guy charged a man stealing his bicycle and got into a shoving match. About six other guys joined him and that bike thief was not going to be bike stealing until his broken fingers healed. He had a long raincoat on and a big pair of bolt cutters hanging in front from a strap around his neck. Needless to say, he was not going to steal anymore bikes until he bought a new bolt cutter!

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
When we are in a city, on the trails the bikes don't leave our sights. Heading to Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks and will be riding all over and want to be able to lock up around town.

Santa Cruz is well-known to be a bike theft mecca. I wouldn't put it past a thief to knock someone off their bike and ride off.

Proceed with extreme awareness.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
top Abus, Kryptonite or OnGuard U lock. but even those can be picked in about a minute or 2 or cut thru with a grinder in about a minute

best bet, keep an eye on them at all times where youre out and about, and get them insured

must see channel.... ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

cable locks = NEVER. they can be cut with wire cutters. huge chain, at least

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts

Yeah, no bike is safe in Santa Cruz, locked or not. Enjoy the trip though, Santa Cruz is an awesome town.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sadly, all solutions are only deterrents to a determined thief. Insurance makes good sense.

I have some seriously heavy-duty chains and locks, but they're not very practical when bikepacking. Whenever I need to leave my bike for a few minutes, I remove the front thru-axle and replace it with a same-size cardboard tube. It would probably work for a few wheel revolutions before collapsing. Of course, this isn't going to stop the thief who throws the bike into a van or pickup.

And I make sure I replace the thru-axle before I jump on it!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,071 Posts
Sadly, all solutions are only deterrents to a determined thief. Insurance makes good sense.

I have some seriously heavy-duty chains and locks, but they're not very practical when bikepacking. Whenever I need to leave my bike for a few minutes, I remove the front thru-axle and replace it with a same-size cardboard tube. It would probably work for a few wheel revolutions before collapsing. Of course, this isn't going to stop the thief who throws the bike into a van or pickup.

And I make sure I replace the thru-axle before I jump on it!
That is not very environmentally friendly. Cardboard is a recyclable resource.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
home depot + 40 bucks = ryobi portable angle grinder > any bike lock system

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Does anyone here lock up their bikes at home? E.g. when in the garage?

If so, what do you use? Any good ideas for anchor points? Do heavy chains damage carbon frames?

Thanks 
I had a local welding shop weld up some thick plates, stick a loop on top and drill a hole in each corner. Used a Torx in each corner to securely fasten it to my carpeted wood floor, strung a Kryptonite lock thru it, and voila. I used Torx so burglars wouldn't just be able to grab a screwdriver form my tool chest and unscrew the fasteners.

I've also got one screwed securely to my workbench.

I'll let someone else answer your question about the heavy chains. :skep:

Foot Ankle

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
I had a local welding shop weld up some thick plates, stick a loop on top and drill a hole in each corner. Used a Torx in each corner to securely fasten it to my carpeted wood floor, strung a Kryptonite lock thru it, and voila. I used Torx so burglars wouldn't just be able to grab a screwdriver form my tool chest and unscrew the fasteners.

I've also got one screwed securely to my workbench.

I'll let someone else answer your question about the heavy chains. :skep:

View attachment 1378627
All a thief needs is a screw driver. Torx are not unusual in the least. Should have at least used security screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.