Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Manitou Minute 2
The fork is brand new & i just finished puttting it on my bike this morning. (Sunday)

It looks to me that the pin that lets air in & out of the main spring valve is a little too short.

When i screw my shock pump on to it, it screws on all the way but i get no reading on the guage. When i start pumping i get a reading on the pump but i`m not sure if that`s exactly how much is going into the chamber.

If i use something small & push down on the pin air will come out of the fork.
If i use the air pressure release button on the pump no air comes out.

When i pump the air spring up with my pump, air is going into the valve but the reading on the shock pump seems to be a little weird .Pressure goes up quickly then slowly drops down.
Like the pump is barely contacting that pin and just the force of the air is barely pushing the pin in and allowing air to enter.

I can get air into the chamber but i feel that i`m guessing at how much pressure is actually
in there.
Through trial & error i can finally get the proper amount of sag.

I will be bringing my bike on Monday into the shop were i bought the fork & see what they say.

Anybody had this similar problem ???

The air valve on the SPV chamber if fine. No problem with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I fiqured out the problem !!!

The valve stem was in too far.
I just took a standard automotive valve stem remover and wound the stem out a turn.

No when i put the pump on, the pressure shows up on the dial.
I can easily add pressure or remove it using the release button.

Now i can go try it out !!!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
DirtSpin said:
I fiqured out the problem !!!

The valve stem was in too far.
I just took a standard automotive valve stem remover and wound the stem out a turn.

No when i put the pump on, the pressure shows up on the dial.
I can easily add pressure or remove it using the release button.

Now i can go try it out !!!
So, how is it???

Just curious - what kind of pump are you using? Standard, non-adjustable shock pump? Also, what about the SPV valve - what are you using to pump that up with?

Hope it's working out for you.

·
not in Vienna
39 Posts
I tried DirtSpin's suggestion of backing out the valve core 1 turn; didn't work for me. I removed the valve core completely (warning -- let all air pressure out first), and it is identical to a regular automotive schrader valve core. I had some extras sitting around, and although they looked identical to the one I removed from the Manitou, I decided to try one in there anyway. Surprisingly, it worked! I was able to add pressure, bleed pressure, etc., normally.

FWIW, this is using a Manitou brand shock pump, black in color, with short flexible hose at the end of the pump. This is not the "SPV" labelled pump. The pressure gauge on this pump goes to 300 psi. I've used this pump on a Rock Shox SID, a Fox Float RL rear shock, and a Manitou Skareb, all without problems.

Perhaps Manitou shipped out a bunch of Minute 2 forks with faulty valve cores... who knows; it was an easy and cheap fix.

You can get replacement automotive valve cores at any auto parts store. Very cheap -- like $2 for 4 of them. A regular automotive valve core remover tool worked fine. The Minute 2 is holding air just fine.

-Karl

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AndrewTO said:
So, how is it???

Just curious - what kind of pump are you using? Standard, non-adjustable shock pump? Also, what about the SPV valve - what are you using to pump that up with?

Hope it's working out for you.
It`s been working fine for me.
Fork is holding air no problem.

When i screw the pump on, the pressure on the gauge on the pump reads about 10 lbs lower than what i had pumped it up to previously. I`m sure this is just a small amount of air that fills the pump as described in the forks owners manual.

I have just a standard generic shock pump that i`m using on both the main spring and the SPV valve.

My pump is a OCG Airshox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.