Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Skareb super came with my bike (Giant NRS1 2004) which i bought about 5 months ago.
Since then I have had to have it serviced twice, and both times it has been a faulty SPV valve. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

First time it was serviced, i think it was simply damaged in transit. Second time it took a bit of a knock and bottomed out. But in my mind, wasn't enough to do serious damage... shocks are meant to be built to take blows??

Although this is a pretty pricey shock, I'm not convinced it is a very good one.
Thoughts anyone?

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
Lizard biker said:
The Skareb super came with my bike (Giant NRS1 2004) which i bought about 5 months ago.
Since then I have had to have it serviced twice, and both times it has been a faulty SPV valve. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

First time it was serviced, i think it was simply damaged in transit. Second time it took a bit of a knock and bottomed out. But in my mind, wasn't enough to do serious damage... shocks are meant to be built to take blows??

Although this is a pretty pricey shock, I'm not convinced it is a very good one.
Thoughts anyone?
Its a great fork once its set up right. Most LBS' have no clue how to work on one though.
If you are tool savy then you can fix it easily.
First, are you sure its the spv valve that is broken?
When the valve is stuck you lose the plush feel and will notice a clunk on rebound stroke.
If you bottomed it out you probably did not have enough air in the chamber and the volume adjust not in far enough.

1. Make sure your oil height is correct on the spv side.
2. Change that oil to a good synth oil like Silkolene or Golden Spectro.

Check the enduro fork seals website for pictures and detailed directions

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Lizard biker said:

Thoughts anyone?
Do you know if the valve was replaced with the newer '05 version? It should have been. You might want to look at/into this also. Check with whoever rebuilt it and ask them. If they "don't remember" then don't send it back to them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.