Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running a 2x10 on a fatty, is the 38/24 or 36/22 pretty much the "norm"? I've been looking at Sram, Shimano and Raceface cranks. I did find a Raceface Turbine that had a 40/28 but am not sure that it is compatible with a fatbike. I am new to picking out my own components so bear with me if these sound like stupid questions. What do you guys think about a full XT build?

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,637 Posts
Order a full build package from The bike man Fat bike store.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I run a 2 by 9 with 36-22 in front and 11-34 in back. It works great and is a good range for a wide variety of terrain. Both of the other ratios would probably work.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Some front derailleurs are specific to the number of chainring teeth, so make sure you pick the right one. I run Sram 2x10 with 36/22 and 11-36 out back. I like having low gears for when I need them. Almost all of my riding is in the woods, Northeast style singletrack with dirt, rocks, roots, etc.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
2x9, 34/22, 11-34

Works great in the winter, but sometimes I find myself wanting a 36 up front in the summer.

·
Karma Vampire
252 Posts
Here is my Franken-gear setup:
Race Face 10-spd 24/36T chainrings
11-34T 9-spd SRAM cassette
2x, 10-spd, SRAM front derailleur made to work with my tooth count difference.
10-spd SRAM chain

I think the 24/36T offers the right mix for the semi-flat, single-track, snowy terrain I like to ride. The 24T gets worn down in the winter and the 36T catches up in the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts