Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is coming & I have a 24 hour race coming up.

I would like at least a 3" tyre

Can't justify a Pugsley (too many bikes already), so what is the fattest tyre/rim combo I can fit on my 1x1? (Non disk model)

Can I fit the Large Marge rims if I use a narrower tyre than the Endomorph?

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
The two biggest tires I've tried have been the Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 and the IRC Trailbear 2.5. The Fire tire is nice and wide and a pretty decent tread pattern. The Trailbear wasn't exactly as wide as the Fire, but it was a fair bit taller, which cut it really close to the v-brake cable that ran across the top of the tire. I found this to be the case for both the front and the rear, though if you can shift your wheel a bit farther back, it might not be an issue.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Search the Alaska boards for "pinky" because they're running Marge's with the Gazzy 3.0's on 1x1's. The Endo's are awesome, you might want to scrape up a Karate Monkey fork or something that'll fit them and run one up front. Trust me, with the floatation you get with those fatties you won't regret it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=12189&highlight=pinky

Attachments

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
I've got 2.6 Kenda Kenetics on Alex DX32's(fixed no brake rr/ disc front) with no issues...obviosly others are running way wider from posts before me...it works for the ski-doo trails here in Manitoba..

·
Registered
26 Posts
datako said:
Winter is coming & I have a 24 hour race coming up.

I would like at least a 3" tyre

Can't justify a Pugsley (too many bikes already), so what is the fattest tyre/rim combo I can fit on my 1x1? (Non disk model)

I run 2.4's w/planet bike fenders. Built the bike for winter riding ,the tires are veloceraptors or mutanorapters,they work great. Ripped all three hamstring muscles (90% avulsion of each, ewwww) in Sept. Started riding my 1x1 3 weeks later and fell even more in love. Rolls great on hardpack too. That bike healed me up, raced some cyclocross even. and I sucked as bad as ever. Just got my cross check frameset to replace my Bianchi Axxis (alu sucks-corrosion big time paint pealed off, steels the deal.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
doode,

no offence, but you wanna run 3" tyres...they're going to be pigs...no matter what ya do.
know this, your bike will be slow like a tractor, but come spring when you switch to narrower tyres/wheels, you be super-hero fit!!!! and that is worth it!

P

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're worried about weight, you can always cut the knobs of your tire like these pics from the surly website:

I gave my gazzalodies a Mr. T haircut with the center knobs cut down and the outside ones left intact. Sorry, I don't have my camera right now or else there'd be pics of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What if I had a narrower rim, could I use Endomorph with 1x1?

datako said:

I have another question:

Suppose that I have the 1x1 fork. (I don't have it yet.)

Can I fit the Endomorph tire if I use a narrower rim than Large Marge, say Mavic D521 for example?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Surly Endomorph on

Nikolas said:
I have another question:

Suppose that I have the 1x1 fork. (I don't have it yet.)

Can I fit the Endomorph tire if I use a narrower rim than Large Marge, say Mavic D521 for example?
The Endomorph on a Alex DX32 measures about the same as a Duro 3" on a Large Marge rim (75mm wide), which I was using on a 1x1 before the Pugs was here, so it should work.
But I haven't had time to try this combination yet, still too busy riding the Pugs everywhere :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Experiment IV

dwnz said:
The Endomorph on a Alex DX32 measures about the same as a Duro 3" on a Large Marge rim (75mm wide), which I was using on a 1x1 before the Pugs was here, so it should work.
But I haven't had time to try this combination yet, still too busy riding the Pugs everywhere :)
This is interesting. Please try it. I will be most interested to read your report here.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I ended up doing

The race was the Strathpuffer 24

I fitted a set of Schwalbe ice tyres with lovely metal studs.

As it turned out we had no snow, and got mud instead. The tyres gave great grip on greasy tree roots and rocks, and also gave me lots more confidence braking hard on downhill fast sections. I'm going to leave them on the bike - they nail the bike to the ground!

The best news was that a single speeder won the race! Mud is so good for derailleurs :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.