Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was reluctant to go with a Q-Factor as wide as my Moonlander. I'm glad I got a Moonlander and am especially glad I rounded up a Bud / Lou combo for it... But I'm really not interested in anything with more Q-Factor than this. That means going any fatter will require internal geared hubs, a different drive system altogether, and/or really long chain stays.

I betcha the Moonlander/Bud/Lou will be the morbidly obese standard for quite some time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you wait until next year, there may be something fatter and there will be rumours of something fatter still. Meanwhile you could be riding something fat enough.
I have Pug now (3x9). I plan to try BFL next week on LM with it.
But here - in the middle of Europe, the winter is unusually warm and only 2.5 or max 3 month of winter time remains, so it is not so important to upgrade right now.

And for non snow period I have other bicycles.

Has anybody tried BFL on LM in 3x9 Pug? Or even Bud & Lou?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have Pug now (3x9). I plan to try BFL next week on LM with it.
But here - in the middle of Europe, the winter is unusually warm and only 2.5 or max 3 month of winter time remains, so it is not so important to upgrade right now.

And for non snow period I have other bicycles.

Has anybody tried BFL on LM in 3x9 Pug? Or even Bud & Lou?
I had BFL on LM on a 3x9 Pug. Had some chain rub on the small chainring large cog when I stood. If I stayed on the saddle, no clearance issues. Went ahead and moved on up to RDs and a MWOD without any issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had BFL on LM on a 3x9 Pug. Had some chain rub on the small chainring large cog when I stood. If I stayed on the saddle, no clearance issues. Went ahead and moved on up to RDs and a MWOD without any issues.
This is the other option I thought about. But more expensive. This could cost cca the same money as Moonlander minus Pug in good condition. :cool:

I plan to test BFL on LM first, then Bud & Lou, if available, but this will probably imply changing row of cogs in cassette. :cool:
MWOD is last step.

With BFL on RD how much space do you have at lowest gear?

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
I think I saw Lance mention that the rim was actually 2 rims cut and then reattached for some custom frame job he was getting. So I don't think that is a sign of something to come. I should have asked him when I saw him a week back.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,377 Posts
The next generation fat fronted Leftýs. :D
Hey! What the....:eekster:

That's hilarious! Love it. :cornut:

As for the topic at hand, I'd tend to agree, we won't see a jump in fatness for a few years at least, if ever.

Personally, I think the best thing they could do now, would be to move the Bud tread to a 3.8 carcass, so all the Pugsley owners can finally have an honest front tire, with enough control to do whatever they want.

Trust me, Larry is nice, but Bud is the THE tread to make fat bikes "the next big thing"....

1 - 20 of 89 Posts