Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FATS got 2.5" last night and another inch prolly falling today.

No leaves on the trees to reduce the water in the ground.

It is fully saturated and does not need any traffic on it for a few good dry days.

The weekend of Dec 13-14 would not be a good time to come to FATS.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FATS is officially closed by the USFS for today thru this weekend. We'll see what happens with the weather after that.

FATS is in Clarks Hill, SC. Nice trail system built in the last few years. 35ish miles of trail that sees up to 300 riders a day on the weekends. Too wet for to be ridden this weekend though.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Re-think

seenvic said:
FATS is officially closed by the USFS for today thru this weekend. We'll see what happens with the weather after that.

FATS is in Clarks Hill, SC. Nice trail system built in the last few years. 35ish miles of trail that sees up to 300 riders a day on the weekends. Too wet for to be ridden this weekend though.
Now that I know where FATS is I can still only assume that this is the worst built set of trails in the south east. I have never seen or heard of the USFS closing any other trails because of rain. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
moto- just FYI- seenvic is one of the main builders, he owns LongCane Trails. Todd (Swank) is the other main builder- works for seenvic. Disclaimer- I've never been there. But, I've heard it's one of the BEST built trail systems in the SE. It's also on flatish terrain near the coast. 2.5- plus inches of rain has nowhere to go, it's just standing there making trail into something more like canals. Being a professional trailbuilder, I imagine seenvic has it worked out with the USFS that they close the trails when it gets that bad so that the trail system doesn't get trashed.
Bill, hope you don't mind my replying from a position of ignorance, but I didn't want the post to go "un-replied" to for very long.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
motobutane said:
Now that I know where FATS is I can still only assume that this is the worst built set of trails in the south east. I have never seen or heard of the USFS closing any other trails because of rain. Whats the deal?
You're right. They suck. Tell everyone you know to never come here to ride.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike Brown said:
moto- just FYI- seenvic is one of the main builders, he owns LongCane Trails. Todd (Swank) is the other main builder- works for seenvic. Disclaimer- I've never been there. But, I've heard it's one of the BEST built trail systems in the SE. It's also on flatish terrain near the coast. 2.5- plus inches of rain has nowhere to go, it's just standing there making trail into something more like canals. Being a professional trailbuilder, I imagine seenvic has it worked out with the USFS that they close the trails when it gets that bad so that the trail system doesn't get trashed.
Bill, hope you don't mind my replying from a position of ignorance, but I didn't want the post to go "un-replied" to for very long.
Mike,
No sweat. Thanks for the kind words. You got it pretty close to right. Aren't that close to the coast, but the water has no where to go anyway. We have alot of clay that holds water like a sponge. Todd is also an owner/partner of LCT. We figured we better get him on our side before he started competing against us.

You should come down here to ride sometime. I know that would be weird to load up your MTB and drive down here to ride, but I know some folks from up that way who have done it more than once.

Finally, were you hanging out in a kilt at rest stop 3 at ORAMM this past year?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Info

seenvic said:
You're right. They suck. Tell everyone you know to never come here to ride.
Hey I just wanted some more info on this trail system, I didn't want to set an angry tone. I just have seen it posted about staying away from FATS when its wet. I am amazed at people getting mad or excited or riled up when there is a ( What I thought was an honest question) question asked.I didn't mean to imply that the trails were not built right - I just don't know and wanted some insight.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Thanks for the info Mike, I had been trying to get away from a sarcastic or ridiculing demeaner in my posting but..........now ???

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say the issue is a combo of alot of miles, alot of clay, hundreds of seeps that pop up this time of year, and finally big numbers of riders who think it's cool to go to FATS 15 minutes after we get 3-4 inches of rain when there are no leaves on the trees to take the water out of the ground.

There are 35 miles of trail built in the last 4 years out there. That's 189,000 linear feet. We have seeps and wet spots on about 2,000-3,000 feet. When FATS is open it can get 300 riders a day and if soft even a hundred riders going over the soft tread helps to cup the tread and the 2000-3000 feet of problems become greater. Many of these riders aren't locals and drive big miles here to ride. I post on boards like this to give a heads up and to save a trip.

In addition, we have another 75ish miles of trail that don't get nearly the traffic FATS sees. The forest is taking some of these trails back. So, we try to send people to ride these trails when FATS is wet as these trails are 30-50 years old and actually need the wheels to clear the leaves off the trail.

There are two loops at FATS that are by far the most difficult and they get the least amount of traffic. They are doing far better than the more popular trails at FATS. I think the thing going on is that the riders who don't know any better also favor the easier trails and thus they get pounded while the more difficult loops are ridden by more experienced and clued in riders and they tend to get less pounded when wet.

At the end of the day, we think the biggest problem at FATS is riders going out there when it is completely saturated. This creates more problems in areas where there were no problems and increases the capacity of the problem areas to hold more water. To us, a short term closure is an acceptable prevention measure to relieve our volunteers of having to do more and more work caused by the "I just ride" crowd.

Come on down sometime and ride when it's dry. If you like going 14+ mph thru the trees, you will like FATS. If you like going 3-6 mph picking your way along, you may not like it. I'd be happy to take you on a tour.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.