Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raining now. This will keep FATS closed thru the weekend for sure. Just a heads up to travelers looking to come here.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
FATS will be closed all week. It rained hard all night last night. The ground is saturated, the creeks are full.

We need a week of dry weather. And we'll probably get a few days dry and it will rain again.

I worked at FATS yesterday and was surprised how wet it was. Then it poured last night again.

FATS status: www.sorbacsra.org

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Bill,

I have proposed a session at the IMBA Summit down your neck on Designing and developing all weather single track.

Many of the trails in the UK are all weather and hardened to withstand riding when wet (cause it is wet most of the time, especially in Scotland and Wales).

It would be cool to see one of the loops there at Fats work toward the treatment that would allow for all weather riding.

Any interest in a 2 day pre or post IMBA Summit on all weather trails?

Woody

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woodman said:
Bill,

I have proposed a session at the IMBA Summit down your neck on Designing and developing all weather single track.

Many of the trails in the UK are all weather and hardened to withstand riding when wet (cause it is wet most of the time, especially in Scotland and Wales).

It would be cool to see one of the loops there at Fats work toward the treatment that would allow for all weather riding.

Any interest in a 2 day pre or post IMBA Summit on all weather trails?

Woody
We do have 3 of the loops at FATS that would be good distances to make all weather. One is 5 miles, and two others are 4 miles each. The thought has crossed my mind, and I've run it by some local SORBA folk.....who look at me with dismay that such a thing could be done.

One thing we lack is alot of native/natural rock. We just don't have it spades like some other places have it. When you come here, you will see a ton of imported armor material....(bricks and broken concrete). Of the loops that I mentioned, I think Big Rock makes the most sense. It is 4 miles long, has more natural rock than any other loop out there and has a parking lot right next to it. If not that one, than Deep Step.

Let's talk about what you have in mind.

I also have a pump track idea for the summit I was going to run past you and Rich.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bill and Woody
I have the same problem down here in Charleston, the only natural rock we have comes in on trucks. Thank goodness for broken concrete. I have closed our trails for the first time since it opened in 2001, and it will probably be 2 weeks before we can even think about opening, there is standing water in places 8 to 10 inches deep. We have recorded 18 inches since Dec 1st.
I would be interested in the all weather ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts