Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Loser
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our normal ride is on Sunday mornings, but weatherman called for rain :( Normally this would spell disaster for the weekly "guys ride" as Sunday PM is busy with horse stuff with my daughter, but since today was Father's Day, I called in a favor and my wife took care of things for me. (I love my wife).

Slider and I took off at 1:00 today... rain had subsided, but it was still moist out. It was a fantastic ride despite a _slight_ issue with a tire - more on that in a minute.

The mountain laurel was still out, though this place is a bit further along than where we rode on Saturday.

I am sooooooo freeride:

Then the fun started...
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Slider got a 2" long slit in his rear tire right down the center of the tread - of course it happened when we were furthest from the car. We used every trick we knew - starting with the gel packet on the inside of the tire (lasted about 20 minutes), then tire patches on the inside:

This lasted for about 15 minutes.

Our third and final fix included tire patches, pieces of tubes and strips of tubes wrapped around the outside of tire. I wish I took a picture of that - quite the amalgamation of stuff I can tell you. That fix lasted about 30 seconds after getting up to pressure. It blew like a firecracker. Slider was walking after that fix. Luckily by then we had made enough progress to get him close to a parking lot, even if it wasn't the one we were parked at. On every subsequent fix the hole was longer and longer. Eventually the tire just completely lost integrity and was impossible to control.

Anyway, good ride and good to try out the McGuyver skills (even if it ultimately failed). I'll have to pack an extra tire for the next ride :D.

John

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Mountain Laurel in bloom out our way......

too! Also tons of honeysuckle , which from far away looks a bit like Mountain Laurel. we had a similar tire issue a few weeks ago...We did the goo pack, duct tape route on the inside but like you the split went into the tread...one of the crew had a roll of electrical tap...wrappe a 3 inch wide area of the tire , around rim and all. We made it out of the woods and road a total of 7 miles that way.

·
Loser
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sidewall...

scorpionwoman said:
I hear a bill (as in cash money) is supposed to work well, though I myself don't carry any with me on the trail.
I've successfully used a gel packet/clif bar package to repair a sidewall tear. I've never seen a tread tear before this one - which is why we tried to repair this one so many times. When you tear a sidewall there's no pressure trying to rip it further, so a dollar bill or package works fine. When you tear the tread the tube is trying to rip the tire apart as you pump it up.

Next time Slider walks...:D

John

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
In the "old" days, I used a toe strap to hold a tire together like that. I still carry a toe strap, but it hasn't been used since.
Wife gave me the day off too. :)

-F

·
Loser
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zip tie

Fleas said:
In the "old" days, I used a toe strap to hold a tire together like that. I still carry a toe strap, but it hasn't been used since.
Wife gave me the day off too. :)

-F
I normally have zip ties in my pack, but didn't today, I took two off my bike and tried to put them together end to end over the hole. They were the cheapo kind of zipties and couldn't hold the pressure. Toe straps would have been good.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.