Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 4 or 5 years a group of dirt bags I race mountain bikes with get together for some skinny tire suffering. We call it the Leadville loop. 85 miles of buff pave with lots of big climbs :thumbsup: Weather was perfect even at 12,000 feet. It took us 4 hr and 15 min. to do the loop ..... I love Fathers Day! Sorry no Turner content but I have been on the 5 spot alot the past couple of months. I think I heard our top speed comming down Freemont pass today was 56 mph. Never went that fast on my Turners. Happy Fathers to all you dads.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
tg said:
For the last 4 or 5 years a group of dirt bags I race mountain bikes with get together for some skinny tire suffering. We call it the Leadville loop. 85 miles of buff pave with lots of big climbs :thumbsup: Weather was perfect even at 12,000 feet. It took us 4 hr and 15 min. to do the loop ..... I love Fathers Day! Sorry no Turner content but I have been on the 5 spot alot the past couple of months. I think I heard our top speed comming down Freemont pass today was 56 mph. Never went that fast on my Turners. Happy Fathers to all you dads.
Love my road bike.......tg good stuff where is that? Sick views.........CF.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moosehead said:
Copper Triangle Route? Tough, but spectacular hall anywhere near Leadville. Happy Father's Day All.
AKA Copper triangle.... We start in Minturn and loop it counter clockwise. The big climbs in order ..... Battle mountain pass to Tennesse pass down to Leadville , up Freemont down to Copper and up Vail pass. Back to Minturn. Strap on feed bag and ride Dirt the next day. Living THE DREAM!

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
The road riding is good. Good stuff TG. With my move, I spend too much time on the road and not enough time on my HL. Here's a shot from this morning's ride up American Fork Canyon here in Northern Utah.

Attachments

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I bet the little one in front holding the teddy bear had the best time

Ted....the triangle is a great ride. I'm hoping to hit it over the next few weeks.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
The Copper Triangle - we used to do it clockwise from Frisco. The final climb up Vail Pass back to Copper is true suffering. This past weekend we did Glenwood to the top of Independence Pass and back - 112miles, pure pain going up, all downhill on the return leg, except for the headwinds.:madman:

·
Living the Dream
1,783 Posts
Ben, SLC is some of the best riding I've done.

El Chingon said:
The road riding is good. Good stuff TG. With my move, I spend too much time on the road and not enough time on my HL. Here's a shot from this morning's ride up American Fork Canyon here in Northern Utah.
Hitting up the full Wasach Crest Trail is Amazing. Tons of amazing riding in Park City as well. Definately Spot or RFX country.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
what's the climb up to I-Pass like from that side? I haven't done it.
Squeak - It's a grind. From Aspen, it's 20 miles of uphill with 4,000 feet of elevation gain. It's also narrow in sections so the road can get crowded with gomers unless you ride early. Some sections are very steep. Basically it's twice the distance and twice the gain compared to the Twin Lakes side. From my place outside Glenwood it's 55 miles of uphill with 6,200 feet of gain with the worst of it at the very end - thin air and steep grades. Hors categorie for sure. It's a long day in the saddle.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
cutthroat said:
Squeak - It's a grind. From Aspen, it's 20 miles of uphill with 4,000 feet of elevation gain. It's also narrow in sections so the road can get crowded with gomers unless you ride early. Some sections are very steep. Basically it's twice the distance and twice the gain compared to the Twin Lakes side. From my place outside Glenwood it's 55 miles of uphill with 6,200 feet of gain with the worst of it at the very end - thin air and steep grades. Hors categorie for sure. It's a long day in the saddle.
Sounds like it.
Still, I'd like to do it.
Drop me a line next time you're organizing the big event. I'm frequently at my place in Eagle-Vail.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Will do - the finest time to ride it is the Fall - great leaves, cooler temps. I prefer the start from Aspen - in the off season you can ride it, then cruise back into town for beers and nachos at the J-Bar!

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Cross bikes are like transgendered cross-dressers - can't quite figure out which side of the fence you're on: road or mountain, male or female, straight or gay, it's all so confusing! I love Redline's stuff - the Monocog was my first SS and was built like a brick sh!thouse. I'm now on this beast that I just put together with all spare cast-off parts from the bin - the frame came used off e-bay for $65.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I need to get into road-riding a bit more. That stuff near Vail, Aspen, and Breck, just look fantastic. I need to look up what a "gomer" is though.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Flyer said:
I need to get into road-riding a bit more. That stuff near Vail, Aspen, and Breck, just look fantastic. I need to look up what a "gomer" is though.
Gomer: Anyone over the age of 55 driving an oversized vehicle and/or R.V. with midwestern license plates on Rocky Mountain roads during the summer or leaf-peeping season.

Gomers demonstrate typical behaviors including, but not limited to: staring at scenery instead of at the road, driving in more than one lane and failing to pull over so the 20 cars behind them can pass.

Gomers pose a particular hazard to road bikers since Gomers come from states accustomed to foul weather where the average person is 50 lbs overweight and personal fitness is generally not of high societal value and so the presence of someone on a bicycle may startle or frighten leading to accident.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Here I thought Grizzlies were dangerous. I'm only riding in a group when on the road. Thanks for the explanation. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts