Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter riding: how's it compare to bud and lou?

Trail riding: how's it compare to a narrower Knard or Husker du? On the 90mm rim?

It seems like a versatile all around tire. Jack of all trades, master of none?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got my Fatboy on feb 22th & only rode it on snow with perfect conditions till a few days ago so its hard to say.That being said & on the same snow trails, compared to nates & larrys (only other tires I have)they seem to have the traction & cornering of the nates but feel way lighter and fast rolling like the larry & I`ll ad very stable at speed.I`m not sure if its the tires or bike(don`t get me started on how much I like the Fatboy )or a combo of both,but I do think the tires are pretty versatile.hope that helps :) KP

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I have ridden on Missions and Floaters before getting my Fatboy. I ride with guys who have Nates. Certainly from a traction perspective the Ground Controls beat all three of those tires. I have made many hills that the guys on Nates spun out on. I think the rolling resistance and cornering is harder to compare one to the other, but I like them a lot in both of those regards as well. I'm pretty damn satisfied with this bike overall, so as KP says, who knows how much of this is the bike and how much is the tires.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have been running on 4-5 lb, as I have been doing a beach section most rides
Today Wifey wanted to go for a ride, so put up to 9lb and rode around a lake with limestone and asphalt cycle tracks. Rolled along great at this pressure
I have ridden a Moony with BFL's and I feel in the sand the GC's have been as good, which surprised me with the knobby tyres.
From a lot of 4wding to surf breaks, less aggressive tyres always worked better on the car in the sand

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've only had them on snow so far (today was the first time I've seen just a wee bit of dirt and a little bit of mud) and they are fantastic at everything I ask of them. I've been playing with the pressure and 4.5 in the rear is just a touch too low (me =160 + gear) but 5 is just right and 4-4.5 up front seems ok. I love the way they climb the traction is unreal, now if I wasn't such a slug :eekster:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been riding my Fatboy for a month solid pretty much every day in Tucson. All kinds of riding, single track, washes, technical rocks and even road to get to a real ride. Other than being slightly heavy I have no complaints with either the frame or the gigantic Ground Control Fat tires. Fabulous grip, good cornering and a pretty comfortable ride even where suspension is generally needed. I'm 160 lbs and run between 6-8 lbs of pressure. Did pinch flat at 6 lbs on a rough, fast, rocky downhill. Have around 400 miles of extremely mixed riding on the rig and love the damn thing. No snow riding for me until we get lucky enough to have some on the mountain (Mt Lemmon) this coming winter. Planning on a bike-packing trip with it very soon. I think it is perfect for that activity with all the sand and loose stuff we have in the desert Southwest. Running tubes with 6 oz of Stans (mandatory in the desert). I'm not as fast (never been fast anyway) but can cover a ton of ground and have a ball doing it. Long live FATTYs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.