Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new here and would like to say hello. I am like most people due to the fact i used to ride the hell out of my Huffy when i was a kid. Well as i grew older, I got out of biking and the weight added up. Then i got married and really started to pack on the pounds. Two weeks ago i said enough is enough. I asked my wife if she would like to get into biking with me.

We purchased 2 bikes from our LBS. I got the Mojave 8.0 20 inch and she got the Haro "heartland" 16 inch. We also bought a bike rack and 2 helmets.

We have had a blast ever since. My initial reason for getting into MTBing was for the weight loss but now even if i didnt lose any weight i would still go everyday.

I just wanted to introduce myself here on the forums.

P.S. for some reason i couldnt get the photos of the bikes to upload. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Way to go! Glad you and your wife are enjoying it. My girlfriend and I ride a lot, too.

To post pictures, you need to have them hosted somewhere else, like flickr, photobucket, or myspace. Then, when you're drafting your post, you just click the image icon (yellow box with a mountain in it) and put in the image link.

[|MG]https://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/mountain-bike-intro.jpg[/|MG]

will look like this:

·
Registered
14 Posts
welcome. I am new as well but we have a lot in common. I wanted to get in shape, my girlfriend decided to go with me on this and now we both love it. Gives us a nice hobby to share in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I hear ya on the weight. I'm hoping to drop some fat riding my bike on the way to work! Biking is nice on the way, other bikers riding and waving and its nice to chat some too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
NC Medic,

Good to see that you and the wife can enjoy it together. I do a lot of outdoor activities like hunting and fishing but my wife doesn't come along. Now I just bought a bike and she really wants to get one as well. I look forward to actually having a hobby/sport that we can enjoy together.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Sounds like your hooked on mtbing......Great stuff.

Yeah, ive always liked the bike better than the gym. It doesnt seem like "work". For me now, its a lifestyle. Couldnt imagine life without ridin'.

·
Registered
832 Posts
NC Medic said:
We have had a blast ever since. My initial reason for getting into MTBing was for the weight loss but now even if i didnt lose any weight i would still go everyday.
Welcome to the highly addictive world of mountain biking :)

I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago. I smoked 2 packs a day and weighed 225 pounds. I quit smoking and picked up mountainbiking as a reinforcement to staying off the smokes. Now I weigh 170 pounds, ride 4-7 times a week and cut my local loop times by 300%! I feel great and am many times stronger than I ever was. Hell, I weigh less than I did in high school lol. I love it so much now that it's not even a chore.

Stay with it man!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the encourgment. When i started two weeks ago i weighed 316 lbs and of this date i am already at 308. Hills are kickin my butt. I know with some time they will get easier.

To all those that have lost the weight good job.

Having my wife with me is awseome. Now we go riding instead of sitting on the couch watching tv.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those are some nice bikes. I think its a great great way to get in shape. There are no fee's to pay constantly. You can go where u like, where u feel comfortable. I am 269lbs now, lost atleast 6 lbs in the last few weeks from eating better and some help from exercise. I hope to gain MUCH better stamina soon. I go for about 5 min and I am out of breathe.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Keep at those hills......it's one of the BEST ways to shed fat fast. The reward is once you become lighter......the hills suddenly become easier!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
just keep pushing it fellas. I use to weigh around 260 lbs. I have been on the bike maybe a month now riding it every other day, some times a short hilly ride or a long (10 miles) flat ride but I can see the difference and my girlfriend can to. Dress pants that I just bought back in March fit my waist perfect then... I put them on this past weekend for a wedding and they were so loose I had to sinch down the belt.

I usually ride every other day and I try to do situps and pushups every night before bed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are great, its awseome to see the positive results of biking. I agree it is very cost effective.

Anyone got any good ideas on slimming down my upper body, maybe a daily routine i can get into along with biking.

I wish everyone the best of luck on your weight loss goals.

Happy biking

Medic.

·
Registered
832 Posts
NC Medic said:
Anyone got any good ideas on slimming down my upper body, maybe a daily routine i can get into along with biking.
I find that once your riding gets more aggressive and the trails get tougher, your upper body gets a much better workout :)

Usually what I do is some core exercises and light weights to keep body strength even. I do crunches, pushups, curls, and some shoulder strengthening exercises about 3 nights a week before I go to bed. This has worked wonders for my riding when dealing with technical terrain and climbing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

First post. It's not my intention to hijack the thread, but I saw the NC in NC Medic's username and thought I'd post. I work for a local police department and just got LEBA MTB certified to ride while on patrol. I'm 43, 6', and was 225. Last time I got on the scale I was 219. The hills are getting easier.

I just wanted to drop a line of congrats and maybe we'll cross trails someday. I live in the edge of the Uwharrie Mountains in Asheboro, NC.

NC Medic,

Stay safe while riding those calls. Greensboro Paramedics sometmes wear bullet-proof vests.:eekster:

Share the road.

Bud

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Equismith said:
Hello,

First post. It's not my intention to hijack the thread, but I saw the NC in NC Medic's username and thought I'd post. I work for a local police department and just got LEBA MTB certified to ride while on patrol. I'm 43, 6', and was 225. Last time I got on the scale I was 219. The hills are getting easier.

I just wanted to drop a line of congrats and maybe we'll cross trails someday. I live in the edge of the Uwharrie Mountains in Asheboro, NC.

NC Medic,

Stay safe while riding those calls. Greensboro Paramedics sometmes wear bullet-proof vests.:eekster:

Share the road.

Bud
I used to work in Greensboro with Guilford County EMS. Yes we did wear vests sometimes. I currently work in Rowan County for the EMS service. Salisbury officers also ride bikes in the downtown area. I live in Lexington and usually ride in Greensboro on the Country Park trails.

Nice to meet all of you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.