Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Awesome stuff, Bjorn! Guess I'm going to have to figure out a way to try a wood stove in my mid next winter...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. This was, without question, the best winter fatbike trip I have been on. The trail, weather and amazing people we encountered all conspired to our benefit.

Sean, I can't begin to say how amazing the ti wood stove is. It changes everything - for the better.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I completely lost myself in your storytelling. Thanks for sharing the epic adventure with us.

By chance, did you grow up in Alamosa?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dflier - I didn't grow up in Alamosa but I did go to high school there. My mom moved us out of Alaska for a few years to get her degree at Adams State. Did we meet?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow, small world. This is Darrin, Brock's little brother. I just sent him the link to your blog.

Maybe we'll run across each other on he internet again... the next time one of us bikes to the arctic. ;)

·
Anchorage, AK
1,352 Posts
Thank you everyone. This was, without question, the best winter fatbike trip I have been on. The trail, weather and amazing people we encountered all conspired to our benefit.

Sean, I can't begin to say how amazing the ti wood stove is. It changes everything - for the better.
What size is your stove, Bjorn? It looks like there are several sizes on the website.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lars_D - We used the 22" barrel stove and found it to be a really good size. That said, I only have experience with that one so I don't have the best perspective. It would seem however that it would be difficult to be as comfortable at -20º as we were with the smaller version. I am very curious about the WIFI flat top stove and would love to hear reports from someone who has used it in cold temperatures.
Here is a writeup I did about retrofitting our mid shelter for the stove:

Titanium Goat Retrofit — Mjolnir of Bjørn

I really can't recommend it enough.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Bjorn, you captured some amazing images of a spectacular trip. Enjoyed your report immensely, too. What an endorsement for those stoves.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeff- we talked about you a lot on our ride. 10 freaking days!!! You are incredible. My first winter cycling partner/mentor was Roger Cowells who first rode to Nome in 89. Those guys did it in 21 days - which still seems fast.
Way to kill it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts