Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Snail. A fast one.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before buying a pair of 29x3 120tpi Knards, I've bought a pair of Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29x2.35 for my 29er. Hans Dampfs are of superb quality, perfect sidewalls, easy installing, brilliant tires. When I received Knards, it appeared that their quality (tread, sidewalls, bead and rubber quality) was ridiculously poor comparing to Scwalbes. Surly tires nearly look like cheap 10$ tires for kid-bike, especially in contrast with Hans Dampfs.
At the same time, they cost at least twice more.
Doubtlessly, 29x3 is a great idea plus Knards have got cool tread, but nevertheless, selling them for THAT price is crook business.
Plus, I've seen a thread about Knards poor quality facts there: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/knard-tire-failure-841862-5.html
What a shame of Surly...
But...why only Surly? Look at those 45NRTH Huskers 27tpi... Have they come from Soviet Union war machine?

I was waiting for Vee Rubber to make some 29+ tires at the fair price. So, here they are (well, only announced). Looking dull and costing 120$ for 120tpi. I wonder what would be the price of Maxxis Chronicles and Mamoths..
I don't mind paying a lot for hi-quality components, but paying a lot for "better-luck-next-time" components is a really sad thing to do.
What do you guys think about 29 and 26 fat tires choice and the prices? Don't we pay 99$ of every 100$ for marketing?..

·
Registered
893 Posts
you are paying for scarcity.

Schwalbe probably sells more Hans Dampfs in a month than all the tires sold by surly/45nrth in a year.

Low quantity=high price.

I agree, the quality is crap for the price.

Have been extremely happy with my On-One Floaters, which cost half the price of of the surly tires, and for that price, they are awesome. Considerably more awesome than the more expensive, lower quality surly tires they replaced.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,304 Posts
"Fraud" is quite likely too strong a word for the given situation. I predict if the thread continues down that path, it'll go sideways quickly.

When Schwalbe (who's tires are on average $20 to $30 higher than other companies 29" tires BTW) makes a fatbike tire, it will be awesome, and, nosebleed expensive.

Like Buck said, you pay for scarcity, and I'd add product development and diversity. Sure, you can buy Vee's, but they weigh a ton, and the tread sucks donkey wiener, so how much of a win is it just because it's cheap? Not much in my book......

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Plenty of people would argue that Scwable tires are a "fraud" too, at least based on the number of threads I see complaining about how much Schwables cost and how quickly they wear.

·
Registered
893 Posts
"Fraud" is quite likely too strong a word for the given situation. I predict if the thread continues down that path, it'll go sideways quickly.

When Schwalbe (who's tires are on average $20 to $30 higher than other companies 29" tires BTW) makes a fatbike tire, it will be awesome, and, nosebleed expensive.

Like Buck said, you pay for scarcity, and I'd add product development and diversity. Sure, you can buy Vee's, but they weigh a ton, and the tread sucks donkey wiener, so how much of a win is it just because it's cheap? Not much in my book......
Must disagree with you on the weight and donkey weiner sucking tread for the Floaters... they are an awesome all-purpose tire. THey aren't as grippy as a Nate, but they're also faster on hardpack than a nate...

·
16,304 Posts
Must disagree with you on the weight and donkey weiner sucking tread for the Floaters... they are an awesome all-purpose tire. THey aren't as grippy as a Nate, but they're also faster on hardpack than a nate...
I was referring to the Vee's. Zero experience with the OnOnes (are they Vee's even??), but really want a pink pair for the wifes uber pinked out Pug.....

Yeah, color matters sometimes :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Surly are price gougers, that's for sure. Surly has long past broken even on their development costs on their fat tires that have been out for a while. They could have an MSRP of half the cost on all their fat tires and make plenty fair profit but they choose to milk the market and be greedy. $170 for a bike tire is ridiculous.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Surly are price gougers, that's for sure. Surly has long past broken even on their development costs on their fat tires that have been out for a while. They could have an MSRP of half the cost on all their fat tires and make plenty fair profit but they choose to milk the market and be greedy. $170 for a bike tire is ridiculous.

So you've seen their cost(+ their operating cost) on tires? Care to share that info so we know as well? Or are you just making stuff up?

·
16,304 Posts
You can't get cranky about $170 tires, since you have other options. Being upset about the price of a Cadillac makes no sense when you can buy Chevy and have it still be a GM product. 120 vs 27 TPI. The 27 TPI's can be had for quite close to standard upper end MTB product, 60 to 70 bucks or so......

Surly isn't gouging. Ever price a Criterium Seta Extra? Yeah, $195. Guess roadies have choices that kill the wallet too if they choose to buy high end crap.

I just don't understand the mentality. Because I think it should be cheap, and don't see the value in spending the extra $, you guys are gouging, greedy, snake oil salesmen. Mmmm, okay then.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I knew long ago when I decided to enter this game I was going to have to pay to play so bring em on. I say just make em available with lots o options and I'm happier than a pig in $hit!!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I just wish all these folk who know the processes of making stuff and how we're being ripped off, would get off their bums, and go into production so we could have cheap stuff.

Reactions: Berkley

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I was referring to the Vee's. Zero experience with the OnOnes (are they Vee's even??), but really want a pink pair for the wifes uber pinked out Pug.....

Yeah, color matters sometimes :)
We know you don't spend any time on this forum, so we can forgive you for a) not knowing Vee makes the Floater b) not knowing that plenty of people seem to like the Vee Snowshoe. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just wish all these folk who know the processes of making stuff and how we're being ripped off, would get off their bums, and go into production so we could have cheap stuff.
Exactly. Like it doesn't cost anything to do the R&D to eventually produce a rim & tire that would revolutionize the fat bike industry .. so he and others (me too) could enjoy a fatbike without having to build one.

Anyways, I am not big on $pending my money on cheap stuff and whining why some companies charge what they do. I have the option not to buy it, or figure out a way to finance it that works for me.

What we have now are a lot of *Copy Crafters* passing off products claiming they are just as good .. but with how much of their own R&D ?? Ah yes .. that age old adage "You get what you pay for"

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,063 Posts
Supposedly it costs over 100k to prototype and develop just a mold for a tire.
Think how many you have to sell to recoup those costs.
A LOT.
There just aren't that many fat bike tires sold.
Supply/demand 101

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Will be interesting to see the aftermarket pricing on teh specialized ground controls. I ride a lot of DH and FR, a small-volume market in which many tires esp Euro brands retail for $95...yet I can get similar or better quality specialized 2 ply DH tires at the LBS for $50.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts