Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fatbike Ride in the Susitna Drainage 1/2-1/4

Start: At Pt Mac General Store Friday Jan 2, (9AM Breakfast- 10AM Start... allow 2hrs from Anchorage)

Route:To Luce's Lodge on Day 1, Day 2 Possibly Yentna Stn condition and rider dependent, Day 3 Return.

Information:This is of course another training ride for the winter cyclist seeking to better understand their gear/sport/trail/task. So feel free to come along for a short day ride, overnight or three day ass chafer! Carpool available, otherwise self sufficient. Should be fun we may rent a cabin at Luce's for a dee-luxe evening on Friday but do plan to bivvy. I am not really an expert, nor can I predict the future so who knows what will happen on this ride. Ideally:we ride to Luce's day 1 then to Yentna Stn day 2 then return to Pt Mac day2/3. Possibly:we fight our way to Flathorn Lake over the course of 2 days and spend 3 more returning home. I am sure evryone will have a good time no matter what so come on out!

Please RSVP via AKSPOKES http://akspokes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5991#post5991
and shame your friends into doing the same!

Roster
Billy Koitzsch (still fragrant from last time...)
Frank McGuire (still shaking from last time...)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ride Report: Jan 2 & 3 Susitna Drainage

Awesome ride/ cold weather survival training. Went out the gasline to the Su, pushed upriver a few miles and bivvied in the woods. Crystal clear views of McKinley, stars, crunchy snow, and low, low temps (a hair past -35 at night).
Many lessons were learned as it was quite a challenge to do camp and do bike/gear chores at those temps.
Remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Ride was cut short by a day, but 50+ miles in those conditions was plenty o' adventure for us, and we got back to Pt Mac Gen Store close to 9- just in time for the burger fest.
Had a great time and learned a bunch from experienced winter campers Jeff, and Billy (nutty Fairbanks recreationalists.)
Billy got some great pics he wil post them at some point.
Thanks for a good time everybody- Frank

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow- sort of a tough question to answer- you may be better off starting a whole new thread as there are many combinations that work for some but not for others.
I wore a light inexpensive hi-tec hiking boot and NEOS (new england overshoe available from campmor, last weekend and did not ever get cold.
Billy is going to Nome this year and he has what is arguably the best set up ever derived for that trip- it is a euro shimano boot with cleats that has two mountaineering gaiter glued and screwd to it (one is waterproof one is insulated) this is backed up with a vapor barrier sock. I know...wow some serious footware.
I think the NEOS works good I commute with them and use tennis shoes inside around town. One sock no problem. Other setups can be found searching the forum.
For me the key is an air pocket and good circulation of blood so a loose setup is good for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey everybody, what a great trip. It was my first winter camping ever, trial by fire I guess. Learned lots, my toes are still a little tingly. I had Neos with sorel liners. My feet were cold all weekend, when it got bad I could jump off and run to get some blood moving again. I have pretty cold feet normally. I'm trying out bunny boots this week, I used them some last year.

Anyway, here's a picture of our GPS track.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,542 Posts
Notice: This thread is 6 yrs. old.

For fun, I clicked on the last page of the fatbike forum. I find this thread facinating in that it was so cold, but being pretty sure of their gear and their level of experience (at least as a group), they went anyway.

Sleeping in a bivy at -30F takes some planning. I'd like to learn more about cold weather camping and survival, esp. in light of the recent weather.

-F

·
sluice box
990 Posts
Sleeping in a bivy at -30F takes some planning. I'd like to learn more about cold weather camping and survival, esp. in light of the recent weather.
Frank, Bob and Billy are your guys.
Or just come to AK this year and bring your shorts. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.