Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings Fatbikers,

I've finally taken the plunge to get my first-gen Specialized Fatboy converted to a 1x drivetrain. I've been able to source all the parts with the exception of a crank and 30 tooth chainring. I'm a Shimano fan, so cassette, derailleur, and shifter are all Shimano and I have the microspline hub body for my Hope Fatsno rear hub. I have a local shop working to find a 175mm arm Raceface crank and Shimano-compatible chainring (curious to try an oval), and a new high-quality bottom bracket to go with it, to replace the original 2x E13 cranks and BB that I've never cared for. Already on my second BB and will be happy to be on something better once the new crank is installed.

I've searched around the internet both domestically and internationally, and there doesn't seem to be much out there. Anyone seeing anything I might have missed?

On the topic of my Fatboy, it's been a love-hate relationship. So many questionable design and component choices:
  • Crappy rear hub (barely lasted 2 years, replaced with Hope Fatsno - bomber!)
  • Quick-release hubs front and rear (replaced front wheel when Bluto replaced carbon fork...DT Swiss fat front wheel has been great)
  • Low-end Shimano hydro brakes with organic pad-only rotors, replaced with Shimano SLX brakes and rotors
  • Chain broke in the first year
  • Cheap rear cassette - replaced immediately with Shimano XT
  • E13 cranks and BB (poor seals on BB)
  • Grip shift - Ugh, combined with an XO rear der., which I expected to work better...klunky at best
  • Limited rear tire clearance...don't think I'd try anything much larger than the stock SpecialEd 4.6"ers
  • Chrome hardware - rusts easily
That said, I've still had a ton of fun in the winter and shoulder seasons on this bike. Wish I had waited for the Manitou over the Bluto, but, well, impatience. The dropper post I added has helped not only the descents, but also made it easier to get started when climbing on unconsolidated boot track. The stock Ground Control tires have actually held up well and have provided a good mix of weight vs. traction, but it's likely time to replace them soon. Not sure what I'll get as I'm not willing to trade-off too much more weight for added traction. Average winter rides in the mountains are 1500'-2000' of climbing over 5-6 miles and then traverse and back down a different way. On really good days, the downs feel like a bobsled run. Only dependable snow is usually up in the mountains, though we can get a week here or there with some decent snow down in the valleys.

Thanks in advance for any leads on replacement 1x cranks and BB (PF30, I think).

·
Registered
409 Posts
I picked up a standard Raceface turbine with 175mm arms and the 170mm spindle from Universal in July. At the time the 170 and 190 kits were not in stock anywhere. I was less than ideal to have to buy the spindle separately but it existed which is the hardest hill to climb these days and I am very happy with the cranks. Looks like the 190 spindle is not in stock if that is the width you need, but the cranks and 170 still is.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, having been there and done that, I wouldn't. If only grip shift worked better. And were easier to recable. They're just so "sloppy" in their operation. I've run triggers in some pretty heavy gloves and pogies and haven't had any problems actuating them. But to each his own. I'll have some well-used 10sp 2x grip shifters for the price of postage if you want them, Pipeliner.

Fly4130, thanks for the bead on the RF Turbine cranks. Over $300 once a chainring and wider spindle is added. That's approaching the cost of Hope fatbike cranks, which I've been lusting after but didn't want to spend the coin on. But there aren't a lot of great options out there right now and the rest of my drivetrain is waiting on the new crank and BB. I'm pretty sure I need the 170 (169) spindle since my BB is a PF30 and the BB shell is 100mm. I think the 190 would be too long, but not 100% positive on that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, Shark, I have checked fleabay recently. Only one set of used Turbines and they are pretty beat. But I'll keep checking.

·
Registered
409 Posts
@jonshonda got me looking at bikeman. Looks like the 170mm spindle can be had there with 170mm arms, if that works for ya. I would be worried about the crank arm splines on an used/ebay crank. That is exactly why I replaced my old set.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,596 Posts
I think I am going to put grip shift on my snow bike this winter. Thumb shifters are a little awkward with pitied and gloves.
I'm a big fan of it. Mostly just due to how it lets me keep my fingers warmer by keeping them together, use loose mittens if I want, etc. The only downside is the super long grips that come with it. You can order shorter grips though. With the long stock grips you can't get your hand placement correct (palm to the edge of your bars) and be anywhere near the shifter IME.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts