Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pardon if it has been discussed before, I did not find my answer searching.

i'm looking at a fatbike for next winter season.

From what I can see stydying fat bikes for the past year or so, Fat bikes in general seem to run longer stem with shorter TT that what i'm used to on my AM/trail bikes. Iusually run bikes with 24 to 24.5 tt length combines with 60mm or shorter stem.

most of the fat bikes seem to have to older conservative xc geometry with shortish TT and longer stem instead of the newer geometry?

is there a specific reason for that?

I heard things about shorter stem resulting in a bit ahrder to steer straight at slow fatbike speeds...it never was a problem with any of my bikes before, maybe my dh days with 12lbs monster has tought me well...

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I think it's more about keeping your weight centered between the wheels as much as possible to help stay on top in soft conditions. The new Borealis Echo is advertised as a non snow Fatbike and that is running the Geo you are speaking of.

That being said where I live we all pretty much run what you described as the "old" geo on our xc bikes, it just seems to work better here.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If standover clearance is sufficient, you can choose a larger size and just use a a shorter stem.

Also when you compare geometries and fit, you'll do yourself a huge favor if you know the stack and reach of your current bike and figure it out for the fat bike(s) you're looking at. It can be surprising how much tube lengths can change even though bike fit remains the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.