Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I would love to get my fellow fatbikers' opinions on the two aforementioned bikes: Skookum - Fatback Bikes vs. Blizzard lineup | Rocky Mountain (carbon frame).

Based on my imperfect knowledge of bike geometry, I would assume the former is more snappy and lively, while the latter is more planted and aggressive.

Does the former's 67.5 deg HA make it less capable on the DH, in general, compared to the latter's 66 deg HA?

I'm giddy with anticipation for fatbikes with modern geometry. Outside of a custom titanium ($$$) frame, it seems the RM Blizzard is the most aggressive fatbike on the market: bar none?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have five years on a skookum and it has been faultless. I got it mainly to keep riding through winter, but since adding a plus wheelset it gets more summer use than my nomad. It does feel short when the going gets steep but that’s what makes it so enjoyable for the other 95 % of the ride.

That said, the blizzard is on my very short list of prospects were my Fatback to meet its sudden demise and I like that rocky has included a quality rear hub. RSD mayor is another modern fatty I’ll throw out there because you may be limited on availability of any of these.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have five years on a skookum and it has been faultless. I got it mainly to keep riding through winter, but since adding a plus wheelset it gets more summer use than my nomad. It does feel short when the going gets steep but that's what makes it so enjoyable for the other 95 % of the ride.

That said, the blizzard is on my very short list of prospects were my Fatback to meet its sudden demise and I like that rocky has included a quality rear hub. RSD mayor is another modern fatty I'll throw out there because you may be limited on availability of any of these.
Thx for your input. I'm assuming the new Skookum geometry has changed dramatically compared to your 2016 model?

In reference to limited availability, it looks like the Skookum is out of stock. Moreover, I spoke to one of the gents at Fatback and he said that the end of May would see the Skookum FLT. I emailed him and another rep about two weeks ago and I never received a response.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nope, same bike right down to the colors. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a redesign pretty soon and I would hope Fatback doesn’t go too crazy with the progressive treatment. Maybe a degree on the HTA/STA but too much would be a hindrance for typical fatbike usage, IMO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, same bike right down to the colors. I wouldn't be surprised to see a redesign pretty soon and I would hope Fatback doesn't go too crazy with the progressive treatment. Maybe a degree on the HTA/STA but too much would be a hindrance for typical fatbike usage, IMO.
A degree on the HTA/STA would be great. I was of the opinion that the new Skookum was updated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I own a 2018 Skookum, and I like it. I was disappointed, however, to read the web page linked below regarding the "new" 2019+ geometry. RideFatbikes.ca makes a pretty good case for the 2019+ models being identical to the 2016-2018 models. They claim that Fatback seems to have altered the specs on the bike as a marketing/"modern geometry" strategy (ploy?) although there were no actual changes made from it's originally reported mostly traditional geo. If it's true, that strikes me as being pretty sleazy, but you can judge for yourself:

Fatback Skookum - RideFATbikes.ca

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote from RideFATbikes description of 9zero7 Lynx:
RideFATbikes.ca notes :
  • (Combined HT + Fork Offset = 66.5 degree HT-to-Axle)

• not sure they understand geometry if they add a note to exaggerate the fork angle with a bogus number that actually is just a measure of fork offset. Nothing Wrong with Lynx geo though,RFB fabricated that Spec themselves.

Fatback sent me a rigid fork for my Corvus that was 511 mm long,longer than the original. It absolutely made handling ideal for me. Even downhills better than with a Bluto now. So Fatback is working on improvements, but possibly fatbike geometry improvements will not mirror conventional mountain bike progress.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own a 2018 Skookum, and I like it. I was disappointed, however, to read the web page linked below regarding the "new" 2019+ geometry. RideFatbikes.ca makes a pretty good case for the 2019+ models being identical to the 2016-2018 models. They claim that Fatback seems to have altered the specs on the bike as a marketing/"modern geometry" strategy (ploy?) although there were no actual changes made from it's originally reported mostly traditional geo. If it's true, that strikes me as being pretty sleazy, but you can judge for yourself:

Fatback Skookum - RideFATbikes.ca
Thank you. I'll read the article shortly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have had an old Mukluk, 2017 blizzard, 2016 ICT. Current bike is a 2020 Blizzard, modern geometry. Love it for an all seasons trail bike but the slack HTA isn't great in slow deep snow, wanders too much.
That's good to know, thx. My current fatbike, a Lamere, has a 70.5 deg (!) HTA. It's an absolute rocket on the climbs, but quite sketchy on steep descents. TBH, the purpose of my fatbike is to ride it mostly on snow (and sand when I have the opportunity). I'll have to rethink the Blizzard if it's not the best in deep snow.

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
elaborate

Their "reviews" have a thin veneer of science that quickly unravels when you put a lens to them and realize they are merely shilling for the stuff they sell.

They also do their testing from a single point in eastern Canada, with a pretty significant weight-weenie bent, but write their reviews as though they speak for a vast swath of the global riding public.

Nothing wrong with opinions -- all have some merit. They just give themselves far, far more credit than their perspective is worth, and pretend that the whole world should subscribe to that narrow view.

Lastly, when presented with the above they double down on the self-backslapping.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Their "reviews" have a thin veneer of science that quickly unravels when you put a lens to them and realize they are merely shilling for the stuff they sell.

They also do their testing from a single point in eastern Canada, with a pretty significant weight-weenie bent, but write their reviews as though they speak for a vast swath of the global riding public.

Nothing wrong with opinions -- all have some merit. They just give themselves far, far more credit than their perspective is worth, and pretend that the whole world should subscribe to that narrow view.

Lastly, when presented with the above they double down on the self-backslapping.
Interesting. So what's your take on their Skookum article, specifically?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.