Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Eleven - it's one louder
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back a few hours ago from riding the Competition Track at McDowell Mt. Park. We were on the Long Loop, at the bottom of the hill just before The Step, at about 1:30p when a Sherriff stopped us and asked us to walk around thru the wash. There was a dead body in the middle of the trail covered with a blanket and a bike with the front wheel off on the side of the trail. Another rider told us he broke his neck but I am not sure. It was very sobering. My heart goes out to this poor guy and his family and friends. Just goes to show you how fragile life is and that your number can come up at any time. I am not sure I want to ride again for a while. I hope it is some consolation to his friends and family that he was doing something he loved.

·
dirt visionary
6,502 Posts
very sad to hear :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yeah very sad indeed, and my thoughts go to him and family.

But I ask why you would not want to ride again for a while? Do what you love, and just check your equipment before you ride to make sure its mechanically sound, besides riding within your limits, if its your time, you will go no matter what you're doing. Its like saying its dangerous to drive, so I'm not doing it anymore.

Got back a few hours ago from riding the Competition Track at McDowell Mt. Park. We were on the Long Loop, at the bottom of the hill just before The Step, at about 1:30p when a Sherriff stopped us and asked us to walk around thru the wash. There was a dead body in the middle of the trail covered with a blanket and a bike with the front wheel off on the side of the trail. Another rider told us he broke his neck but I am not sure. It was very sobering. My heart goes out to this poor guy and his family and friends. Just goes to show you how fragile life is and that your number can come up at any time. I am not sure I want to ride again for a while. I hope it is some consolation to his friends and family that he was doing something he loved.

·
Need more cowbell
938 Posts
Tire came off the rim on the downhill....head trauma. One of my teammates was giving him CPR to no avail.

Heart goes out to his family....bad day for our cycling community.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Boy, I hate hearing things like this!.....My thoughts and prayers go out to his family!

Just out of curiosity, do you know if he was wearing a helmet of any sorts?.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was out there as well. The gate lady advised me not to go on the long loop. Tons of emergency vehicles. Rode pemberton and they were still there afterwards. Figured it couldn't be good.
Sad to hear :(. Rest in peace.

·
"No Clue Crew"
1,231 Posts
Damn, I hate hearing this. No one should go out to enjoy a beautiful day like today and not return home to your loved ones.
!
Could of been any one of us I imagine. .
How many of us will work on our neck strength and flexibility after reading this? I was at the gym, just today working my neck and traps. We all have built in armor, most just don't keep it ready for battle.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Wow....condolences to the family.

Crazy enough, when I rode in the MBAA race at McDowell a few weeks ago, I felt like my ride was really rough and couldn't figure out what it was. Every bump I hit seemed to radiate painfully up into my arms. I finally pulled over, just as I was summiting out of Pemberton Wash. Turns out, my front tire had come unscrewed was and about ready to pop off. I'm still not sure how the wheel stayed on during the first part of the race or what caused it to come loose in the first place....must have been a rock that bounced up and hit it just right.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts