Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running Maxxis Hookworms on Large Marge rims?

If so,what sort of width are you getting and has anyone run them on sand?

Thanks,
Dr FG :thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Doc, I use them, permanently on the rear and when I don't need the Endo on the front.

They're 2.5" wide, and whilst their good in the sand they're not a patch on the Endo 3.7's. I've ridden a mates Pugs and mine over the same piece of sand and the Pugs wins hands down.

They can run anything from 8 PSI ( depending on your weight) on the soft sand to 65 PSI on the road. They are quite heavy so one has a lot of tip weight when spinning quickly. They suffer very little from lateral deflection at high pressure and because of their shape the same contact area is kept at all angles, cornering at high speed is excellent as is directional stability. I have clocked 74 KPH on the GPS down a winding hill on a tarred road towing a 42 Kg BOB Ibex trailer, OK it was at the edge of the envelope but only because of the trailer. I also clocked 42 KPH down a really loose pea gravel track, also towing the trailer with 40 Kg on it.

I run lower pressures on the trails and get a great ride, hitting tree roots at oblique angles is a hassle, the front will slide out easily and the arse does the same, wet rocks are the same if the shape is angled but dry rocks are no problem, the pressure in them makes a big difference to handling.

I run the front on a 40 mm rim, I feel the round balloon effect works well in loose terrain, rather than have a wider rim (80mm) and the rear is on a 25 mm rim, this is so I can run a skinny road tyre as well if I have long distances to cover.

Hope this helps.

Al

·
A Surly Maverick
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks Al, I hoped you would chime in as I had noticed you were running them :)

I was thinking about them as a Gazzaloddi alternative on my Wife`s bike, as the Gazzis have a MASSIVE tread that`s unnesseccary for sand really.

And that makes 1K posts for me now , blimey !

Cheers,
Dr FG :thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Doc, theres a clinic for adicts such as yourself.....but the biggest hurdle is for you to admit to yourself that the problem exists......be strong and work your way through it....your amongst friends .....:) :) :thumbsup: :p

·
A Surly Maverick
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi my name is Dr Feelygood .....and I`m a bike addict. :eekster:

It`s a lifelong addiction (since I was 9yrs old) and I can`t (read DON`T want to ) shift it :)

Luckilly daily access to carefully controlled amounts of bike stoke mean that I am able to act like a `normal` member of society (so my Psychiatrist tells me....)

Thanks to all for the `group` support :D

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
I just measured... 2.5 Hookworm on a Large Marge rim measures 74mm (2.9 inches) at its widest point. That is measuring the tire at ~30 psi - I'm sure you could get a +3" footprint with a lower pressure.

I've only ridden mine on pavement and hardpack dirt.

MM

·
A Surly Maverick
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mplsmtb said:
I just measured... 2.5 Hookworm on a Large Marge rim measures 74mm (2.9 inches) at its widest point. That is measuring the tire at ~30 psi - I'm sure you could get a +3" footprint with a lower pressure.

I've only ridden mine on pavement and hardpack dirt.

MM
Thanks MM :)

That`s pretty good especially when Hookworms are 1/3 of the price of Endos here in the UK.

Looks like they may be worth a punt !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts