Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I am stuck on XC tires with the classic Dart/Smoke tread design.
I'm running velociraptors now at 2.1.

Whats a good fat tire with a similar front / rear specific tread design?
Has any used the Kenda Kinetics?

Also, what width Front / Back do most of you folks prefer.
I ride standard east coast woods at 32:20

any advise would be cool.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello Jim,

I too ride your standard east coast woods, and I am running 33:19 on my bike. I my geared bike I ran velociraptors, and I liked the tires, though I like the front more than the back tire. However this past year I made the switch to single speed, and rode Kenda Karma 2.0 tires, and I really like them. They were a little slick when things got greasy, but they stuck to the roots very well, and I rarely spun out climbing. I think the velociraptor front bit the trail more than the karma, but other than when the trails got greasy, I never had a traction problem. As far as the rear tire, I think the karma far outperformed the velociraptor (of course I am comparing not only the tires, but singlespeeding versus geared climbing, etc.).

The guy I ride with runs maxxis highroller 1.95s, and really likes them. If it matters, he runs 32:20 on a rigid bike and weighs around 210.

Hope this helps,

GF

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try the Albert's

HI Jim,

I rode the velociraptors 2.1 for years with good success. Only problem was the rear was real slick on wet roots because of the paddle design. I then tried some of the new Kenda Nevigal DTC 2.1 and liked them alot, but did not hook up as well as the WTB's in the loose stuff. This summer, someone recommended the Schwalbe Albert 2.25 and I have never been happier witrh a tire in ALL CONDITIONS. Wet, dry, loose you name it. They even held up well in the snow this past weekend. Probably not the fatsest rolling or lightest, but IMO, well worth the penalty. And by the way, they have this new "snakeskin" sidewall that looks real cool !!

The other VCW in NJ

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Mutano 2.4

I like the super size of them, and they do hook up. Haven't ridden em in wet stuff really. Anyone know if the compound will hold on roots etc? I really like the ride quality.

PS, I have a new Velociraptor front and a near new dart/smoke kevlar set if you want em. PM me. Cheap

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I am on the East coast as well, and hear is what I ride. I currently have a Weirwolf race 2.5 on the front (rigid fork) and a Kenda Kinetics 2.35 on the rear. Both tires perform very well. The weirwolf has a lot of volume for it's weight and grips very well. The Kenda grips pretty well and has strong sidewall for those sharp rocks that you didn't see because of the stars! I would like a wider tire for the rear but can't fit it in my frame, and I am considering a Timberwolf 2.7 for the front for even more cush and grip! I also have a pair of Mutanoraptor race 2.4 tires on my travel bike. They are very light and have a lot of cush when set to the correct pressure. This bike goes to California quiet a bit and works great there, and works good in the summer in the East, but I won't use it (anymore!) when the conditions get sloppy hear!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks for postin up all the info, I think i'm gonna try out those Kenda kinetics that Webcyclery has.

lutarious,
thanks for the offer but I'm good. I have new 2.1 WTB's on it.

After I got bucked off my bike from a pretty small rock in the trail. I started thinking that with a rigid fork a fatter front tire might have helped.
I guess I'll find out...

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
burtondogs said:
Cool thanks for postin up all the info, I think i'm gonna try out those Kenda kinetics that Webcyclery has.

lutarious,
thanks for the offer but I'm good. I have new 2.1 WTB's on it.

After I got bucked off my bike from a pretty small rock in the trail. I started thinking that with a rigid fork a fatter front tire might have helped.
I guess I'll find out...

Thanks
Jim
Which version/size Kinetics are you looking at? I have a set of the 2.6 DH versions and they are not a good choice with a rigid fork. Harsh riding even at 18psi. They come alive with a suspension fork though.

The XC casing versions are much more supple.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
burtondogs said:
Whats a good fat tire with a similar front / rear specific tread design?
You make your own combo.

Last time out, I had a blast using an IRC Trailbear 2.5 in the front matched with a Maxxis Minion DHR 2.3 in the rear. I have just replaced that Maxxis tire with a Kenda Kolossal 2.6, but haven't had a chance to try it out. Damn thing weighs as much as the whole bike, I swear. I've also ordered a Maxxis Mobster 2.7 to try as a rear tire with the same Trailbear in the front. The Kenda sports a ramped paddle tread while the Minion's paddle tread doesn't have any ramps, I don't think.

I've also been eager to try the IRC El Gato in the rear, but haven't gotten around to shopping for one.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
You make your own combo.

Last time out, I had a blast using an IRC Trailbear 2.5 in the front matched with a Maxxis Minion DHR 2.3 in the rear. I have just replaced that Maxxis tire with a Kenda Kolossal 2.6, but haven't had a chance to try it out. Damn thing weighs as much as the whole bike, I swear. I've also ordered a Maxxis Mobster 2.7 to try as a rear tire with the same Trailbear in the front. The Kenda sports a ramped paddle tread while the Minion's paddle tread doesn't have any ramps, I don't think.

I've also been eager to try the IRC El Gato in the rear, but haven't gotten around to shopping for one.
The TrailBear/El Gato combo came to mind for me, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.