Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had a bad puncture on my Pugsley, which I ride year 'round for commuting and trails, mostly. Decent sized piece of what looked like a thin, sharp steel wire was the culprit. Couldn't get the wire out of the tire itself - no pliers in my repair kit - so got the bike home on my car's trunk rack, eventually. To expedite matters., I swapped in a new tube in another tire - a Knard I had sitting around.

No big deal patching the tube in the usual way. The damaged tire is a 3.8" Nate in fairly good shape, in terms of wear. But I'm wondering if I should stick a boot on it and keep using it, or whether a boot is "really" only a temporary measure, meant to get you home in an emergency. Is there a better way to "permanently" repair a fatbike tire? I don't want to convert to tubeless, as the rims are standard Large Marges, not really well-suited to tubeless.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
what about a car tire patch on the inside of the tire to fix the hole?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
what about a car tire patch on the inside of the tire to fix the hole?
That is essentially what the hot patch is. I went kind of extreme and got what should be a life time supply of patches from Amazon or eBay, a bulk bottle of vulcanizing rubber cement, bead sealer and even some prep-solvent. I have found it to work on even high pressure tubeless road bike tires. Total cost for the materials is less than one new tire.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If you like running tubes and would like to in the future there is nothing needing to be done to the tire other than checking to see that the wire and any other sharp bits are removed. Toss in a new tube and go. The pin hole makes no difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.