Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across this press release on some other site...

WMBA's TENTH ANNUAL FAT TIRE FESTIVAL

Westchester Mountain Biking Association?s Ninth Annual Fat Tire Festival will be held on Sunday, June 5, 2005, at Blue Mountain Reservation in Peekskill, New York.

The WMBA is a grass-roots organization of mountain biking friends and enthusiasts advocating mountain biking and multiple use trails in a safe and environmentally sound manner. The group offers leadership and organization to the mountain biking community in Westchester County, NY. We work with Westchester County Parks to develop new trails in the County Parks and help to maintain the ones already in use.

The Fat Tire Festival is a fun time for anyone interested in mountain biking. Our event is not a race, but an opportunity for mountain bike enthusiasts, friends and families to ride, spend the day together, appreciate the sport and educate riders about proper stewardship of the trails. There's food, games, and a raffle featuring specialty prizes especially for mountain bikers. But there's also a special purpose: This year we have partnered with The Friends of Westchester County Parks, Inc. For 25 years this non profit organization has worked to raise money to buy equipment, fund children?s programs, provide amenities and support the Westchester County Parks. Their vision is to keep the parks clean, green and growing. So this fun event will also raise a few dollars to help the Westchester Parks system thrive well into the future.

(www.friendsofwestchesterparks.com/ 914-864-7048)

EVENT HIGHLIGHTS

? Music & Food - Can we have fun without these? Luckily, we don?t have to.

? Bike Limbo - How low can you go? Different age (and size) classes for the best competition.

? Clunker Toss - Take out your frustrations on our clunker. It?s more about technique than strength.

? Slowest Rider Race - Test your bike handling skills in a race for the tortoise in all of us. The last rider over the line wins.

? Trials Demonstration - See how the best can handle their rigs. Don?t try this at home!

? Guided Rides all day long - Fun trail rides for all levels beginner to advanced.

? Full Suspension Bike Demo Rides - Try the latest suspension bikes for real test rides on the trails.

? Poker Rally - Contestants ride the trails stopping at different stations to pick up a playing card. The more stations you visit, the more cards you get. Build the best Poker hand you can and then meet back at Rally Central to see how you?ve done. This is a great event for riders of all skill and fitness levels. All participants receive a commemorative T-shirt and a chance to win a new bike.

? Raffle - A fabulous raffle for both bikers and non-bikers. Prizes include a full-suspension mountain bike and a 27? Color TV.
I got into mountain biking AFTER this event last year. It sounds terrific so I think I'm be there this time 'round!

·
Dab Master
456 Posts
Spinwheelz - for more details on the Fat Tire Festival goto www.wmba.org

We are having a planning meeting tonight for the FTF. So throughout the next month or so we will be updating the website also post on the forum if you have further questions. This is a great event for ALL levels of riders - great way to meet many riders in the area and get some guided tours throughtout Blue Mountain which is one hell of a great place to ride!!!!! :D

FTB

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that plans are still in development, but the WMBA site is a bit lean on information right now. I'm sure you'll put more info up as soon as you get them, but it might also be helpful if you could update the gang here in this thread with any new bits of info you have.

Cheers, fattireb!

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fattireb said:
what type of info you looking for?
Demo opportunities? If so, who'll be there? Any on-site promotions aside from the raffle? Sale tents? Food? The press statement mentioned entertainment? That sorta stuff. I'm trying rally as many friends as I can to go to this thing, but if I'm lean on details, it makes it difficult to do so.

·
Dab Master
456 Posts
spinwheels - here's what we have so far:

Yorktown Cycles will be there with Titus and Jamis Demos
Tarrytown Cycles will have Kona Demos

Other local Westchester shops such as ET Cycles, Down Cycles, Danny's Cycles, Julio's, Hickory & Tweed and FOX RACING provide us with SWAG-O-PLENTY that is raffled off throughout the day. (in the past we have had helmets, shorts, jerseys, wheels, tires, etc and are sure to have the same this year). They are also there with merchandise for sale.

Trailmasters Touring for clinics.

Fat-Tire Fest T-Shirts

Group rides throughout the day (ability appropriate).

We will have Mr. Softee with ice cream and a Food Truck there all day.

And here is the kicker - it seems the prize for the poker rally this year will be a CANNONDALE PROPHET

Goto www.wmba.org for updated information (we have a new forum so join up and post away!)

Not to mention the miles upon miles of our sweet singletrack :D :D :D
FTB

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll be on a Jekyll with the Siemens Silver team colors. Porbably hanging around the Tarrytown Cycles tent a lot...I will also be DJing for a bit...my friend will the the main DJ but I will jump on and play some funk and jazzy stuff for a while as well.

Tom

·
Registered
624 Posts
Fat Tire Fest on June 5

Hey,

Are any of you taking the train to Blue Mountain from Manhattan? I have never taken the train to Blue Mountain, plus I don't know the trails too well anyone that can help a guy out? Meet up at train station, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Steve '"aka" Soulfly

PS: I've been to Blue Mountain 3 times last season, but i want your opinions...is it a good place to start someone off with their 1st ride? (it's my girlfriend, so the stakes are high).

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
Blue Mountain has some easier fireroads and mellower trails that would be OK for a beginner, mainly on the North side of the park. Sprain has a pretty good beginner singletrack trail, too. The Fat Tire Fest would be good for her, as you can hook up with a guided beginner ride and ride with others in the same boat.

If you take her, stay on the easy trails, and make sure she has platform pedals (not toeclips or clipless) so she can catch herself easily if she starts to fall.

As for getting there from the train, it's pretty easy- take the train to Peekskill. Take Hudson Ave (the one that crosses the RR tracks) a block or two up to Washington Street. Take a right, and ride about a mile or so down to Welcher Ave (there's a gas station on the righthand corner). Take a left on Welcher, and it goes right into the park. There'll be a bit of a hill coming up from the train, but it shouldn't be too bad...

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
jbogner - How much closer is the Peekskill station to Blue Mtn than Cortlandt Sta?

I've been doing Cortlandt... it's a short pedal, but I'm always looking to minimize the pavement miles on my Kenda 2.5 StickE. :)

thx
-r

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Another question for y'all: what level of beerage can I expect at the festival? Do I need to haul my own on Metro North?

(It wasn't clear to me if "Food" did or did not imply the beverage portion.)

thanks guys.
-r

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.