Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble getting my tire beads to set evenly all the way around tire. Any tricks. I've lubed them up and inflated and deflated few times triing to get them even but still got a woble

·
Registered
151 Posts
Air them up to 25 or 30 slowly and they should pop on. I normally do this process without stans incase the tire blows off of the rim. Some tires fit better than others. I have blown a Husker Du tire off of a Marge Lite wheel at 22psi. That is why I recommend after you reach around 20 psi to go slowly with the pressure.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I just put floaters on my fat boy, I had to go to 30psi on the rear to get the bead to seat. I hate going that high with fat tires. I had it at 20 and was riding around and it looked like I got a bad tire, until I noticed that unseated bead.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
2,015 Posts
When I put floaters on my nashbar fatty I had to pressure them up to 45psi to seat them, with soap and water. It was a little scarry.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I need to go to 40-45 sometimes. Just keep an eye on the bead, all the way around and on both sides, throughout the process. If there's anywhere that the bead sits too high, deflate and correct. If it's even, except for a low spot, keep inflating, it will pop into place.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Also if you're doing split tube - look for air escaping from under the rim strip - it means the strip isn't under the bead. I have reused a trimmed split tube a couple of times and this happens as the bead moves over. I had to air down and back up a few times to keep the tube under the bead.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,224 Posts
uhhhh

I use a smear of tubular cement on my fatbike rims...this allows me to use super low pressure and the tire doesn't creep, no matter how much wrinkle-wall I have...but bonus side effect is: once you inflate and monkey the bead into place on various spots on the rim, it stays put

so...that might work

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'll use the upper half of my feet (with shoes on) to help pull the uneven parts out more. Hard to describe by typing. It's like standing on the edge of the tire with the balls of your feet. The opposite side of the tire will leave the ground as I do this.
I do this at a medium psi level, and with lots of soapy water all around to get it to work around the way I want. Then I air it up to around 25psi to solidify the positioning.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
It can depend on the rim. Some like Surly's and Fatbacks have pretty good beat seat shelves so pump them up to 30 psi maybe with some soapy water and you should here them pop into place. Some like Snowcat's or Fat Sheba's don't have much if any bead seat, those you have to posh and pull into shape. The last time I set one up I pre inflated the tube enough to make it a little bit hard to mount the tire, but that seemed to hold the tire pretty even when I inflated it the rest of the way.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'll use the upper half of my feet (with shoes on) to help pull the uneven parts out more. Hard to describe by typing. It's like standing on the edge of the tire with the balls of your feet. The opposite side of the tire will leave the ground as I do this.
I do this at a medium psi level, and with lots of soapy water all around to get it to work around the way I want. Then I air it up to around 25psi to solidify the positioning.
I do something similar to this.
1) Mount tire
2) Spray window cleaner liberally on both beads
3) Lie wheel flat; air up to about 25 p.s.i.
4) Glove your dominant hand.
5) Find low spots, where the bead line dips below the rim, and then place the heal of your palm in that spot. Pick up the other end of the wheel with your other hand, elevating to a 45* angle. Now push on the low spot, dragging your palm from the rim outwards. The bead usually pops into place after a few good pushes.

Sometimes I'll actually lower the pressure if the bead is being stubborn, as this tends to work better when there's a little "give" to the sidewall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts