Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As in, 170 etc?

Or, like 29er specific grips?

Current Rohloff hub shell above. Prototype in first post. I can't say how much wider it is than the normal 135mm hub.

Since the internals don't need more space and this is an exercise in just widening the hub it wouldn't be crazy to offer 170mm and 190mm shells.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts

Current Rohloff hub shell above. Prototype in first post. I can't say how much wider it is than the normal 135mm hub.

Since the internals don't need more space and this is an exercise in just widening the hub it wouldn't be crazy to offer 170mm and 190mm shells.
Holy cow, the material cost and price to ship all that weight alone must cost a fortune.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Finally. Now if Shimano comes out with some 170 and 190 Alfines, you non-Pugsley fatbike owners out there can finally run IGHs for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally. Now if Shimano comes out with some 170 and 190 Alfines, you non-Pugsley fatbike owners out there can finally run IGHs for a reasonable price.
That would be great...I'm not holding out hope given how long it took for Shimano to almost put out a real response to SRAM's XX1/X01. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's a hollow shell. The extra cost of materials isn't a big deal vs. a normal Rohloff. It's the small production runs/sales volumes that will likely drive a higher cost.
If there is extra space, it would be cool to have a rear brake inside the shell.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
You mean inside with the delicate gears and oil bath? That makes no sense at all.
Sturmey-Archer have been doing that for 100 years...

Modern version:

XL-RD5(W) 5 speed with 90mm drum brake

Separate compartments in the hub.

I'll be building a wheel with one of these for next winter.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I heard another, unsubstantiated rumor that it will be available as a retrofit for current Speedhub owners as well. Probably a 'send it to use and we'll retrofit it' deal, but still cheaper than the likely $2,000+ price tag.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts