Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone got pics of fun mods done to Clown Shoes or really any fat rims with cutouts?

Surly has red, blue, white and black strips
Rim Strip | Parts | Surly Bikes

Talking with guys at the LBS I heard mention of custom colors (argyle) and such being achieved by using strips of fabric from a local crafts store under the stock rim strip. That way you get colors but keep the tube protected from the sharp edges of the cutouts.

I also just found this site that sells 3" wide rolls of vinyl tape in multiple colors.
IDENTI-TAPE - 3-inch Colored Vinyl Floor Marking Tape

Looking for inspiration :) If you have some pics show 'em.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Designer Duct Tape

Not Clownshoe, but I know someone else who by chance used the same I believe on his Rolling Darrels and used two passes of the same over the holes. On mine shown below on UMA 70's 1 pass covered the holes:

·
Human Test Subject
1,337 Posts
I can't post a pic of my moonlander yet, but I cut the tape on every other cutout, then put a white rim strip over the standard black strip. Dunno if it's any better looking than a white strip, but it's still different.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't post a pic of my moonlander yet, but I cut the tape on every other cutout, then put a white rim strip over the standard black strip. Dunno if it's any better looking than a white strip, but it's still different.
Cool! Pics when you got 'em. :)

·
Human Test Subject
1,337 Posts
Oh I have em, just not enough posts to do links. 1 closer now though!

·
How much does it weigh?
1,169 Posts
You don't need the thick Surly rim strip behind the fabric.

I use fabric with packing tape to hold it in place.

On my trials bikes in the past I used Electrical Tape.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used red ripstop nylon from the fabric store, it's lite strong and it works great. Cut it into strips and tape it in. There are a ton of colors and its cheap. Although I'm thinking of switching out to the reflective tape.

·
Human Test Subject
1,337 Posts
That reflective tape looks like a great idea. I'll probably switch to that sometime soon.

·
Human Test Subject
1,337 Posts

edit-pic wasn't resized so I had to do it myself like some sort of caveman.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great posts! Trying to find a good deal on some plain old white reflective tape for my clownshoes, might go with the black tape that reflects white...undecided.

·
Banned
187 Posts
This kind of reminds me of buying 3" silicone flex tubing for road racing brake ducts..it onyl comes in 10' sections :skep:

Anyone have any white reflective left over? I figured unless you are fitting two fat bikes, a 30 foot roll should leave some left over. anyone have any extra they want to sell to split their costs?

---OR---

anyone want to split a roll of white reflective? I may oder some reflex tape if I can;t find anything at homedepot or autostoned.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Random drilling, plus Astro Turf rim strips, gave these GFS a very "organic" look to them. It is like the bike went all Jumanji.
I love these unique projects.

There are pic of the complete at Eric's blog.
Transit Interface: Coolest Pugsley Ever

Attachments

·
Nemophilist
1,876 Posts
Chia Pet Wheels;

Now I've seen it all...

1 - 20 of 184 Posts