Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a budget friendly yet good rim to run on the Surly 1x1. I plan on running 2.7 tires and want them wide. I found some double wall trials rims on a few sites. They were drilled for weight reduction and the price wasn't too bad. Any other suggestions?

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
speedway cycles has 51mm rims. a little wider than the trials rims and single walled, so lighter. marge is the biggest that will fit without chopping off the brake studs. if you don't need those, speedway also has 70mm rims that'll make your 2.7" tires monsters.

·
6,589 Posts
mplsmtb said:
I'm pretty sure I needed to chop the canti bosses to run Marges in my 1x1.

trrubicon06 - Did you come across Kris Holm rims in your search?

on my km, which i was assuming is similar in post spacing to the 1x1, i would have had to only buzz off the spring tabs to get a marge to roll down the center. of course, that eliminates compatibility with 90% of rim brakes. or more. but you would still be able to use them with a couple of v-brake models or magura hs-33's.

·
6,589 Posts
trrubicon06 said:
I also found this manufacturer that makes trials rims. They have some other really cool parts as well.

http://www.vizbikes.com/002.html

I've got a set of those built up. they're really nice, and set up tubeless super easy. laughably easy actually. I got em from Vaughn at http://www.trialsin.com/catalog/ they're horrible about updating their website, but are good guys. shoot them a message and see if they can get you set up. i'm sure they can. they've been in the trials scene for a loooooong time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I may actually be set up now. Another member contacted me on a great deal of wheels with large marges and 2.7" tires. Hope to snatch em up from him soon. Thanks everyone. If the deal falls through then I'll be back on the drawing board again, lol.

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
sean salach said:
on my km, which i was assuming is similar in post spacing to the 1x1, i would have had to only buzz off the spring tabs to get a marge to roll down the center.
I guess I never looked into it that closely... I didn't have any need for the canti bosses so they got chopped.

trrubicon06 - glad you found some Marges... you'll love 'em.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Universal Cycles has the Spank Stiffy 40mm rim for $30...that is dirt cheap. I am pretty tempted to buy a set for the heck of it... Certainly not a LM, but if my tire is only about 65mm, not sure I want a 65mm rim too.

They are heavy but lighter than Marge. They are wide, but not as wide as the trials rims. But they look burly as all get out, and no hole drillings to cover. I have seen these around the web elsewhere for $75 or so. You can get a set custom built up by Universal to 1x1 hubs with DT Comps for $281. You don't need to chop up your canti studs either. Just an option...not like I have been looking at this or anything... ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the offer for the Large Marge wheelset fell through:sad: So, I'm back inn the market. I found some 46mm trials rims by ZHI on THIS SITE that looks pretty good and 22CAD is like $21US if I'm not mistaken. Anyone else know where to get some wide and decently priced trials rims or the ZHI rims?

·
one chain, two sprockets
354 Posts
I picked-up some NOS Sun Doublewides a year ago for about $30/each. If you search around you may still find them. Other than that, I'd second that Spank Stiffy 40mm rim. If you're only runing ~2.7" tires, a 40-45mm width is perfect with less weight penalty.

Tom P.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
one piece crank said:
I picked-up some NOS Sun Doublewides a year ago for about $30/each. If you search around you may still find them. Other than that, I'd second that Spank Stiffy 40mm rim. If you're only runing ~2.7" tires, a 40-45mm width is perfect with less weight penalty.

Tom P.
The Doublewides are still available here, 2 for $75:

http://shop.vendio.com/benscycle/item/995362489/index.html

·
one chain, two sprockets
354 Posts
The really cool thing about the Doublewides is the double-wall lip and pinch resistance. They are a softer alloy than some rims, so they require a little care and finesse with regard to initial and break-in spoke tension. But once you get them dialed-in they hold true.

I'm running 24" Doublewides... those 26 x 36-hole have got to be heavy.

Tom P.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wanna say thanks for the help.

Also, please don't PM with wheel offers unless you are sure about selling. I've had 2 people with some Large Marge wheel offers... One decided not to sell after finding out the Pug wheels won't be available till December. The other wouldn't give me a price and hasn't answered my PM's for a few days, even though they've signed on within those days.

I appreciate the offers and will gladly buy if the offer is good. But, if your not ready or sure about selling, please hold off on messaging. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts