Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself and get info/opinions from experienced and knowledgeable people.

My name is Jeff and I live in the Rancho Penasquitos area. After hard thinking, I decided investing in a bike, specifically a mtn bike, would be the best bet for me to start losing weight since I had a lot of fun riding around with my buddies.

I stand at 5'11",weigh in at 340 and wanted to know what a good introductory bike would be for me considering my weight.

I went to Black Mtn and the owner recommended a Specialized Pitch Comp which was a tad bit over my price range but I loved the way the bike felt. I figured its an investment on my myself and my health so I dont mind the price tag all that much :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did you buy it? If not I think the Kona Hoss would be the way to go for you. It's made specifically for big guys and it's not that much.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll let the others give you bike suggestions. Just wanted to wish you luck.

Having exercise you actually looked forward to is very important. I hate the gym, I love to bike. Stay positive, eat clean, and the lbs will shed by the day. Reward hard work, its not a race as much as it is an investment and lifestyle CHOICE.

I've lost about 60lbs in the past 6-7 months.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=97174&highlight=blueboost

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am wishing you luck as well. I started riding during my daughter's soccer practice.

I immediately started kicking myself for not riding earlier! Now I am always looking for time to ride.

I also live in PQ (Carmel Mountain side) and you now have access to some good riding. Even on the days you feel a little tired, hit Canyonside/Los Pen up for some relatively flat cardio. I will be honest, there are some good looking ladies that run through there too..... :)

Check out the link in my sig for the lowdown on the trails, and welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyler Kiefer said:
Did you buy it? If not I think the Kona Hoss would be the way to go for you. It's made specifically for big guys and it's not that much.
I was told a full suspension bike with a greater rear travel would work best for me. I plan on picking up the bike later on today. Last time I rode a hardtail, it was really really really uncomfortable. thanks for your input though. ill try out that bike and see how it feels as well

Blueboost said:
I'll let the others give you bike suggestions. Just wanted to wish you luck.

Having exercise you actually looked forward to is very important. I hate the gym, I love to bike. Stay positive, eat clean, and the lbs will shed by the day. Reward hard work, its not a race as much as it is an investment and lifestyle CHOICE.

I've lost about 60lbs in the past 6-7 months.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=97174&highlight=blueboost
thank you sir :thumbsup: good job on the weight loss. maybe Ill post some progress pics in the future as well

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am also a big guy, I started riding 10 years ago, I have not lost a lot of weight by biking 2-3 times a week, but I am in a much better shape, I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. After riding for 2 years, I didn't need the blood pressure medication and my cholesterol was back in normal.

I love mountain biking because I get small rewards all along the ride. A good climb, a thight corner or a rocky section, I always find something to be happy about. I suck at climbing, gravity is not my friend, but I love none the less, it is a challenge against myself.

I am always happy when I ride!

I hope you can get this exited about the sport

Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
I don't know how much you are going to spend but Black Mountain is one of the most expensive shops in town. Mike and Doug at North Of the Border will get you a better deal. If you haven't made a purchase yet go see them. They have some nice KHS full suspension rigs at a very good price. Tell them Aaron sent you and they will hook you up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congratulations on taking the first step to better health! MTB is a fun way to exercise. For my ht/wt I burn about 750 calories per hour by mountain biking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
reaction

The reaction I got on my reply to this thread inspired me to start my own thread. I have lost 30lbs. and 4 inches off my waist in the last year, from 190 of fat to 160 of muscle. Heavy guys are hard on bikes so take into consideration the maintenance involved for a large person on a full suspension, I'm not saying rule it out, just consider yourself warned. Check out the thread Hard Tails in the passion forum, it was inspired by this thread.

Mountain biking has helped me quit drinking, quit drugs, and get in shape. If I can do it anyone can do it. Just keep riding HVYrider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey Tyler...I hope I didnt offend you with my reply to your post here bud. I was just stating what my coworker and Bryan at Black Mtn Bicycles told me as I am still learning about mtn bikes.

I was seriously inactive for YEARS so Ive just been training my legs to get back into shape by riding up and down my street/hill everyday. I recently went to the Nighthawk trail in the Black Mtn open space park and I couldnt climb the hill if it meant my life lol so I just hiked what I couldnt ride. The decent was so much fun though.

I think I shouldve picked up a bike with lockout that way I can have the HT option on the fly depending on the type of ride Im going on but I totally understand what you mean when you say that the heavier riders are harder on their suspension. Im still trying to figure out what setups are best but overall Im content with my purchase so far. I couldve have done a lot more research though but Bryan at Black Mtn seemed to really know what he was talking about and took my weight into consideration to find the best bike suited for myself and my budget.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Whatever bike you got, more power to you and I'm sure it's excellent.

Black Mtn climbing can can be punishing, for sure!

If you want to burn calories and develop your bike skills, PQ is great for that. You can roll the 12 mile loop on the canyon floor that includes singletracks and some climbs, or you can climb up Telephone Poles to descend Duck Pond/ The Shits and/r climb/descend Cobblestone. There aren't as many loops and options as there used to be, but you can find plenty to ride where you'll stay on the bike!

·
I <3 Dirt
724 Posts
EBasil said:
Telephone Poles to descend Duck Pond/ The Shits and/r climb/descend Cobblestone. There aren't as many loops and options as there used to be, but you can find plenty to ride where you'll stay on the bike!
OT but what's the status of that new multi-use trail in LPQ that was supposed to open in May? I don't remember the trail's name, but I think you had posted info about the upcoming release.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
mealsonwheels said:
OT but what's the status of that new multi-use trail in LPQ that was supposed to open in May? I don't remember the trail's name, but I think you had posted info about the upcoming release.

:skep: "We plan to open this in 3 weeks, but not unless you help us get the kiosk completed, first..."
12 weeks ago.

This is the CamRu trail we're talking about and it's 99.999999999% done, with the remaining part being a blue-ink sign-off by some un-named "biologist" and then a ribbon cutting ceremony, "by late summer". :madman:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts