Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda have a good problem. I'm trying to decide which frame to buy and build up, a steel Jones fat front setup or Krampus/ other 29+. I'm 6'4" so the idea of a massive krampus makes me happy but it's hard to pass up what has been claimed to be an almost perfect rigid bike by jones. I currently ride an On One inbred setup as fat front and love it, but I would love to trade up to a better frame. Weight isn't really much of an issue for me. I'm mainly wondering if anybody has a fat front vs 29+ experience or arguments either way?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do you want a lot more squish or just a bit more squish?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you want a lot more squish or just a bit more squish?
More specifically, whether I want more squish in front with none in back, or a little more front and back. Either way I'll have fun running over stuff. I'm just looking for different perspectives from fellow single speeders on the two different tire set ups.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Does Jones do more than 1 size fits all now? If not I'd think you might be a tall to fit into 'all'.

FWIW I'm keen to try a 29+ rigid front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does Jones do more than 1 size fits all now? If not I'd think you might be a tall to fit into 'all'.

FWIW I'm keen to try a 29+ rigid front.
That is one of my concerns with the jones and I hate to run seatposts so high too. I wonder if anybody out there has a jones that's as tall as me.

I too am keen to try a 29+. Maybe I should run fat front, 29+ rear on a krampus or the like.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would go with the krampus, just because you already have a fat front setup. I'm an admitted surly fanboy though.

Are you looking at the standard fork or the truss fork?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, i'm pretty much as tall as you (6ft 3 and a half) and ride a Jones, albeit sceptical on fit before I test rode one. Love it, absolutely brilliant bike compared to my other rigids. It feels so low and nimble when throwing it around and the stiff fork is superb. Set up wise the fit works with 100mm stem and Jeffs bars or a 55mm stem and 760mm normal bars which I find allow better control when it gets rough and rowdy. Knard or fat...I've tried both albeit only on the front. Go fat if you ride a rigid as many would ride an all mountain 6 inch travel bike. Go knard if you're more xc inclined. Knard rolls over things better but doesn't come close for cushion and outright grip.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I love my Jones with a Knard up front. Fat front was not for me. With an Ardent 2.4" out back, a super fun bike with just enough cush. Short wheelbase, stout and rigid front end resulted in a nimble and confidence inspiring ride--even through the chunky stuff. The Krampus would be a fun bike, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would go with the krampus, just because you already have a fat front setup. I'm an admitted surly fanboy though.

Are you looking at the standard fork or the truss fork?
I am very interested in the truss fork. My enabler fork feels flexy under hard braking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts