Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
Has anyone ever used a fat front tire on their rigid 29er in place of a suspension fork for trail riding, and ended up with positive results?

I have a Haro Mary with a rigid fork, factory crown to axle length for my bike is 475mm. Wanted to put a pugsley style fork with endomorph front tire, however, cannot find a fork that would leave my factory geometry the same. The geometry for my bike is below, my bike is a 16" inch. Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/geo3.html

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
oren77 said:
HI,
Has anyone ever used a fat front tire on their rigid 29er in place of a suspension fork for trail riding, and ended up with positive results?

I have a Haro Mary with a rigid fork, factory crown to axle length for my bike is 475mm. Wanted to put a pugsley style fork with endomorph front tire, however, cannot find a fork that would leave my factory geometry the same. The geometry for my bike is below, my bike is a 16" inch. Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/geo3.html
You could do that but it isn't going to be the same as a suspension fork.
I have a Pugsley that I rode in the desert last night. I have a softride stem on mine and my friend had the standard rigid fork. We both have endomorph tires set at fairly low pressures. The 6 mile alluvial fan downhill was a gas but with the washboard he was complaining at the end. My stem smoothed it out a lot for me.
I also run a rigid 29er single speed and have a WTB 2.55 tire run at a fairly low pressure. I love the set up but in washboard or real rocky terrain, the downhills do loose a little of their appeal.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
You'll have a 28mm difference. That will change your HTA to ~73 degrees. Thus your steering rate will increase making it steer a little quicker, but the big Endomorph will kinda slow it all down. Most snow bikes have a HTA of about 70 degrees. I've got a BNIB Pug offset fork if you're interested. Your only option to have it stay the same is get a custom fork.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried contacting Surly, Vicious, and Jeff Jones in regards to this. I also contacted many custom frame builders. Neither the Surly, the Vicious Snow fork, and the Jones fat fork will not work on my frame as far as geometry. Furthermore, most, if not all the custom frame builders did not want to build a custom fork that long, or reffered me to Jeff Jones. Jeff was very helpfull and confirmed that all those ideas with a pre-manufactured fat fork (including his) will mess up the geometry too much making the ride un-enjoyable.

Does anybody know if there is a fat 26" tire, like a 3.0 that I can stick in the front (that would fit in a stock 29er rigid fork), that would make a positive difference? I really like the rigid fork, but have problems in my wrist and shoulder, and the rigid vibrates too much when going over small rocks, roots, and uneven ground.

Any suggesstions?

Should I just look into a suspension fork?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Schmucker said:
Try some backswept bars, like an H-Bar. Walt would make you a fork for ~$200

Yes...I really like the backswept bars, I use the ON-ONE Mary on my 29er, and use the Titec H-Bar on my other bikes. Is walt waltworks?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It's too bad that softride gave up on producing their suspension stem. A 100MM one with a removable faceplate would be the bomb.
I guess they got overwhelmed with the suspension fork trend and quit developing it. Now that rigid is so popular, it would be a nice niche market.

3,617 Posts
richwolf said:
It's too bad that softride gave up on producing their suspension stem. A 100MM one with a removable faceplate would be the bomb.
I guess they got overwhelmed with the suspension fork trend and quit developing it. Now that rigid is so popular, it would be a nice niche market.
ya, huh?
seriously
or Cane Creek, maybe they'd make something... keeping in Thudbuster tradition

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The sad thing about going with a fat Surly/Endormorph (snow tire setup) in the front or both front and rear is the cost. Going that route aka Jeff Jones costs more than the top of line F series Fox fork with terralogic. I studied the hell out of that route all except actually riding one, but from just the paperwork, turned me off entirely from the fat front end option.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
oren77 said:
I tried contacting Surly, Vicious, and Jeff Jones in regards to this. I also contacted many custom frame builders. Neither the Surly, the Vicious Snow fork, and the Jones fat fork will not work on my frame as far as geometry. Furthermore, most, if not all the custom frame builders did not want to build a custom fork that long, or reffered me to Jeff Jones. Jeff was very helpfull and confirmed that all those ideas with a pre-manufactured fat fork (including his) will mess up the geometry too much making the ride un-enjoyable.

Does anybody know if there is a fat 26" tire, like a 3.0 that I can stick in the front (that would fit in a stock 29er rigid fork), that would make a positive difference? I really like the rigid fork, but have problems in my wrist and shoulder, and the rigid vibrates too much when going over small rocks, roots, and uneven ground.

Any suggesstions?

26 x 3 will lower your front end about .75" or more. the wider the rim, the more it will lower it. works really well front and rear though. any custom builder that builds a segmented fork should be able to make something to fit your needs.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Does anyone think an Endomorph on a standard width XC or DH 26er rim would work? Shouldn't the resulting tire profile be both taller and narrower, both raising the bars a bit more and providing a bit more vertical 'travel'? Or would the tire be more apt to roll side to side?

+1 on the cost. I priced all the parts on a bike parts website and came up w/a cost almost double what Jenson was clearing out Manitous for. And I can't afford either.

Also, like the original poster, I'd like to keep head angle on my Unit at least close to where it sits now if not slacker.

C.

·
3,049 Posts
I know a couple folks that have put the aftermarket, 100mm Pug fork on a 29er, by using a big crown race they achieved steering that wasn't too far altered. One of those guys ran his endo on a wide but standard 26" rim.

For the cost and weight, I'd get a Reba.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Endomorph fat front is awesome. So awesome that eventually some one is going to make a cheep fork that is compatible with your 29er. Comparing the fat front to a shock is like comparing apples and oranges. If you are using wrist pain to measure how well it works. I think they are quite equal with the fat front being a little more comfortable. While I would recommend the fat front to anyone, there are a lot of disadvantages to that setup, and not many with the shock.

·
Registered
266 Posts
oren77 said:

Any suggesstions?

I generally had the same problem from the onset. Perhaps I needed time to "loosen" up my upper-body to a rigid...but I went out and bought some carbon fiber bars and esi chunky grips! No problems now, probably a combo of the two. I don't even have to ride too low of pressure to get a comfy ride. Love the rigid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
riding rigid

to follow up on what foxtrot said I ride a fully rigid 29er with WTB 2.55 front tire carbon bar and ergon grips. that set up has really helped wrist and shoulder pain

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
i ran a gazzaloddi 3.0 on a standard dh 26" rim (so it was more rounded than when they're on the REALLY wide rims)
rode fine.

NOT a replacement for suspension.

but if you're insisting on the whole rigid fork thing, then it is a fun way to do it!
3 inch gazzis roll like CRAP on the road btw! LOL
but they DO work wonderfully when shooting down the trail, REALLY isolates smaller trail chatter and the traction is really good, bit harder to throw around but when the bumps get bigger than baby heads you need to remind yourself it's still just a tire, not ACTUALLY suspension.

3" gazzis fit fine within most forks I've tried here at home.
And stuffing one into the bontrager 26" sus. corrected fork I have on the misfit just makes it look BUTCH.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
This might be an option:
- Surly Karate Monkey fork at 468 a-to-c will yield maybe a 1/2 degree change in head angle (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

- Endomorph on 50mm Speedway rim. I believe mine measure 3.4" @ 11psi. I'm just guessing, but you might be able to squeeze that in the KM fork. You should obviously verify before dropping the cash. I'm also guessing a Gordo rim or something similar will tighten the width up even more, but I'm not sure how narrow you'll want to go on the rim before things get weird.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
richwolf said:
Yeah, I'd love to have one of those too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts