Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice for a commuting tire for my Mukluk 3. I bought it to ride dirt roads in the snow this winter, which it did well at. Since then I've decided to mount a rack to it and use it as my summer commuter. My commute is around 7 miles and consists of mostly paved shoulders, some dirt shoulders and an occasional dirt railroad service road. So far I've just been riding the stock tires (Larry front, Endomorph rear). Here's the question: should I just stick with the stock tires and if they're worn considerably by next winter, replace them with a Husker Du for the snowy riding, or should I replace them now with the Black Floyd for the nice weather commutes and save the Larry/Endomorph for winter?

G

·
Looking for some advice for a commuting tire for my Mukluk 3. I bought it to ride dirt roads in the snow this winter, which it did well at. Since then I've decided to mount a rack to it and use it as my summer commuter. My commute is around 7 miles and consists of mostly paved shoulders, some dirt shoulders and an occasional dirt railroad service road. So far I've just been riding the stock tires (Larry front, Endomorph rear). Here's the question: should I just stick with the stock tires and if they're worn considerably by next winter, replace them with a Husker Du for the snowy riding, or should I replace them now with the Black Floyd for the nice weather commutes and save the Larry/Endomorph for winter?
how did you like the larry/endo in the snow?? knowing this is your answer. If satisfied then replace with BF's, if not then continue commuting with them and use Husker's for winter/snow.

·
Anchorage, AK
1,352 Posts
I use a set of 29 wheels in the summer on my mukluk with schwalbe marathon tires. They work great.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm running Conti Moutain King 2.4 front/X King 2.4 rear on my Large Marges for commuting and light trail riding this summer to save my fat rubber. This gives me a good set of grip, relatively lower rolling resistance, less weight, and a much cheaper solution than the Floyd's. I'm quite happy with the results.

With the Muk, a niner wheelset would be a great alternative. Just swap out when needbe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the Larry/Endomorph very pressure sensitive in the snow. If I was down under 10psi they felt pretty good and stable. We had such a warm winter though I did a lot of bare dirt riding so I would pump them up to ~15. If I forgot to lower the pressure they would wash out a lot easier. I've never ridden another snow tire so I can't really compare.

I guess what I'm really looking for is someone who's ridden both the Larry/Endo and the Black Floyd. How big a difference will the BF make in rolling resistance?

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is some good content on the Floyd's here: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/foolish-ride-black-floyd-content-768667.html

I too am having this conundrum. I have spent some time riding roadways with my Larry/Endo combination and found them to roll well when pressure is up, but have also found that the Endo wears quite fast and it has since been replaced with another Larry. I had considered throwing a set of Hookworms on and trying these as an affordable alternative to the Floyd's, but in the end I may get a set of Floyd's to wager my own opinion of them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I did my commute las summer with Larrys on both ends and with Black Floyds on both ends. My commute is 7 mIles one way, with pavement, potholes, and 1 mile of crushed gravel. Also some twisty asphalt and steep hills. Both were on Large Marge rims on a stock Pugsley.

To me the Black Floyds are awesome on pavement. They handle great, especially on tight, fast downhill sections. You can really lean with them. They make the bike handle like a motorcycle. Rolling resistance is better than the Larrys but not by much. That may be due to the fact that I didn't run them at high pressures. I was at about 15 front, 18 rear with both setups.

HTH...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been commuting every day on my 9-zero-7 with the same big fat Larrys it came with. Haven't noticed much tire wear at all. My commute is similar @4 miles. I figure by the time I need new rubber new tire options will be out there

·
Registered
332 Posts
Get some BF's and jack the pressure to 20 and you'll make that 7 miles feel like 5. I live in Anchorage commute everyday of the year and pay way to much attention to other commuters bikes. Especially when their riding a fatty. I have yet to see a fatty with a 29 wheel set built up. If I was going to buy another wheel set for my fatback(currently running UMA III with 'Hadly's) It would be UMA I's or UMA II's rolling Tubless light BFL's. To sum it up. Get the BF's put the larry/endo on craigslist and hold out for $90 per tire. You'll get someone to bit by fall and then your a little over half way to getting a set of Ultra light BFL"S. IMO

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Definitely go for the Black Floyds for commuting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts