Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I found a Fat Chance listed in my ~somewhat~ local paper. Called up, old guy, says its a black Fat Chance with 18 speed index shifting, no rust, very good condition, but he doesn't know any more than that. Says he's had it for a long time and that his son put the index shifting on a few years ago. He wants $250.

My conundrum is that he's 90 miles away and since I have no car and will be working all weekend I will need to send a friend to look at it.

Do I buy it sight unseen for $250???

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
I think so

If it's in very good condition the parts alone are probably worth that, even if the info on/history of the frame is sketchy at this point.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I should ask a few more questions like 'what components?', 'are the original shifting components are still there?'. Also more specific: No chips?, Decals still great?, No play on the bearings?.... Furthermore the man says no rust, but did he check the seattube with a flashlight???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elevation12 said:
I should ask a few more questions like 'what components?', 'are the original shifting components are still there?'. Also more specific: No chips?, Decals still great?, No play on the bearings?.... Furthermore the man says no rust, but did he check the seattube with a flashlight???
I asked about the components, he said "I can't remember". The guy sounded OLD. I tried to ask various questions about components and condition, but I got pretty vague answers.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Well...

...for what most of the people on this board think Fat Chances are worth, $250 is a steal even if it's got no decals and has some rust and Acera X components on it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes, you are right, but a lot people favour a nice, rideable bike over $250 worth of stuff I guess.

@indigosky
Worst case scenario will be that you end up with $250 worth of stuff. Personally as a FAT fan I would go for it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
see if he can provide the serial # under the bottom bracket. That will at least tell you what year bike it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went down myself and picked it up. Here's the stats:

1985 Fat Chance

Original fork, original bull horn bars, Suntour xc hubs/rm25 rims, Sugino AT crank, Deore 6 speed shifters, xt 6 speed rear der, stag head front der, 600 headset & freewheel, Specialized Nimbus tires...

Pretty good shape, no rust inside seat tube or fork steerer tube, never ridden off road, and from the looks of the guy, I believe it.

Here's a couple of pics...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.