Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having my '84 Fat repainted and need to pull the press in botton bracket bearings out. Does anybody know where I can get replacement brearings in case they dont survive this procedure? Would my local bearing shop have them? Also I need a seatpost and measured 26.2 . Seems an odd size, can anybody confirm this?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,771 Posts
I'll Check on the Bearing Number Tonight

Hammer and a wooden dowel will remove those bearings right quick. And there's no reason they wont survive the extraction. If they are rough and need replacement they are a stock size and any bearing shop should have them. If not I think I have 2 pair in my tool box from a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shayne said:
Hammer and a wooden dowel will remove those bearings right quick. And there's no reason they wont survive the extraction. If they are rough and need replacement they are a stock size and any bearing shop should have them. If not I think I have 2 pair in my tool box from a long time ago.
Thx for the info, Having a bike shop remove them today and will let you know if I need yours

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
6903?

kb11 said:
Having my '84 Fat repainted and need to pull the press in botton bracket bearings out. Does anybody know where I can get replacement brearings in case they dont survive this procedure? Would my local bearing shop have them? Also I need a seatpost and measured 26.2 . Seems an odd size, can anybody confirm this?
Most frames with that style bottom bracket use 6903 bearings, 30/17mm OD/ID; a very common size. Same as my Merlins. Phil Wood has superduper durable ones for $38 a pair. www.aebike.com has several varieties in that size for a lot less. Been using a pair of enduromax in one bike, Phil's in another. Both seem fine. Phil also has 17mm spindles in a variety of sizes.
26.2mm is a valid seatpost size, just not one you see frequently today. A lot of older french road frames used that size. There's also a 26.4mm which is more common.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fat seat post size

Also I need a seatpost and measured 26.2 . Seems an odd size, can anybody confirm this?[/QUOTE]

All of the old Fats that I have and have seen use a 26.4 post, however Jeff at First Flight recently told me that a 26.4 did not fit well in one of his recent Fat acquisitions, (I think that he ended up using a 26.8).

For what it's worth...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Replaced bearings 87 Fat added ZERK

kb11 said:
I replaced my bearings and they were 5/8" ID originally. The OD was standard fit. I then decided to shorten the spindle to save weight and help the alignment. I could not get the 5/8" and got a 17 mm X 113mm straight. Got replacement bearings at bearing supply store. I moved the collars to the inside of the bearings after careful measuring. Also, I took out the inside seals of the bearings, and sealed up the seat tube hole (soldered in a bent penny) Then drilled and tapped in a zerk grease fitting. Now just give them a shot of grease every 6 months. I now run a Deore XT crank from about 97.

Also had creaking problems with this set up and solved by assembling with Lock Tite "Retaining Compound" . This fills voids and hardens up. I was told it is still removable, with a little bigger push.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.