Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...first post on VRC...:)

Is there anything one can do as far as rust prevention on the old Fat frames that have sealed tubes? I have a late 80's Fat Chance. I've been periodically spraying framesaver in the seat tube, but the other tubes are sealed. Anyone have experience with rusting and if so, what can be done?

Thanks!

Rev

·
Fat City Michael
606 Posts
I thought that all of the braze-ons and bottle bosses were "sealed" as well, on Fat City frames to prevent water from getting in? I once took the time to stick something, maybe it was a nail (?) down into a few of the water bottle bosses on a few of my Fat Chance frames and it seems that those threaded bosses are sealed at the bottom, so you can't get water in...Anyone else know what the real deal is?

Michael-NYC

·
Fat City Michael
606 Posts
bushpig said:
They are sealed on my Yo. I discovered this when I tried to use some longish, Ti bolts the other day - the bolts hit bottom and I was SOL.
I thought that was the case...that means that sealed tubes should not rust from within at least. If the paint gets chipped or scratched and the tube corrodes from the outside that's a different story.

Michael-NYC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm....

I guess I made the assumption from this post (in the "what's the deal with fat chance frames anyway" thread) that condensation inside the sealed tubes could cause rusting eventually. Presumably moisture would be present in the tubes at the time the frame is welded up?

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker1
don't forget the sealed tubes. the weight relieved tubes. the yo eddy fork... and the looks which are just.. killer: from the logos to painting to the whole harmony and visual balance of the bike. not even IFs touch the fats when it comes to the whole bike experience.

Those sealed tubes are what causes the rust issue so common on old Fats... Guess it took years for that problem to surface. No pun intended.

Not sure what you mean by "weight relieved tubes"...

Personally, Im not a fan of the Yo era bikes. Dont fancy the looks or the name. I do like the old Wickeds and Team Comps however. Some of the big Fat collectors from the east coast say that they actually prefer the ride of the Wickeds over the later Fat Yo bikes.

Fats are nicely made, and have a big fan base on the East Coast... Not too many out here in CA.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Fatmikeynyc said:
I thought that all of the braze-ons and bottle bosses were "sealed" as well, on Fat City frames to prevent water from getting in? I once took the time to stick something, maybe it was a nail (?) down into a few of the water bottle bosses on a few of my Fat Chance frames and it seems that those threaded bosses are sealed at the bottom, so you can't get water in...Anyone else know what the real deal is?

Michael-NYC
I sure do have heart of non sealed ones

On my Yo they are

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
When Chris Chance and Rob Mossman came by the shop many years ago they explained their whole build process and explained they purged the tubes even on the steel frame buildups and yes, they did use sealed threaded inserts for their bottle braze-ons. Now clearly any oxidizer that gets into the tubing will cause it to rust from inside out, but FCC did take steps to prevent this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.