Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
They call me the Fireman"
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking to buy a new set of wheels for my Heckler. Stock it came with Mavic
321's. Cant say there was anything wrong with them, but I want a new set so I can have an all mountain/off road set and a street/greenway set. What would you all get? Dnt want to spend 500 dollars if I dont have to, but you know how that goes. I hover around 300 lbs. Thanks

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
I'd throw in a vote for the ol' standard Rhyno Lites. I've got a set I've been riding for years, in some pretty harsh riding conditions, haven't broken one yet. Pick a hub and some straight gauge spokes, and go to town. You're 50 pounds heavier than I was at my biggest, though, so YMMV. If 321's held up for you, these will do nicely.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
check out the used i9's on ebay; they are a far superior build, imo, to what you'd get new for a similar price. search ebay for industry nine enduro and you'll find a sweet pair, in red, laced to some bomber bontrager duster rims. they are quite a bit lighter than the wheels mentioned earlier in the thread yet they are quite a bit more stout - a nice fit for the heckler. tubeless ready, too. the seller is a friend and one heck of mechanic/wheelbuilder and a stand-up guy (he goes around 260lbs., by the way). whatever you choose, good luck, big guy!

·
Registered
331 Posts
After I kept breaking spokes and freewheel hubs I bought a set of Mavic DeeTracks, Even though they aren't the lightest I love them. Haven't had any problems with them and the 20mm front thru axle stiffened up my fork. Wheelworld.com has '08 version for 250.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
BWW can also build you up a solid XT/Rhyno Lite wheelset for a little less than the Mavic 321's. But if you talk to people that build wheels, they'll tell you that while the Rhyno Lite is certainly a stout and durable wheel...the Mavic is a better rim.

I personally have built, owned, and rode on both. They were both solid rims, but the Mavic was MUCH easier to mount/remove most tires.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
515 Posts
2nd on the Ryno Lites

I got a set about a year and a half ago and they've been rock solid. I've bent two sets of so called custom wheels from local builders, but these Ryno Lites laced to XT hubs have been great. I'm 250 with equipment on an old Jamis Dakar Expert, 01 model.

·
Registered
772 Posts
At about 310, my rear rhynolite did not hold up. I had to true the rim every time I rode. Go 36 hole and make sure its a hand built wheel (BWW or Universal Cycles or local builder). I switched to a 29er bike and went with the Kris Holm rims and DT swiss alpine spokes.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
BWW can also build you up a solid XT/Rhyno Lite wheelset for a little less than the Mavic 321's. But if you talk to people that build wheels, they'll tell you that while the Rhyno Lite is certainly a stout and durable wheel...the Mavic is a better rim.

I personally have built, owned, and rode on both. They were both solid rims, but the Mavic was MUCH easier to mount/remove most tires.

Just my $0.02
Spot freaking on as usual :thumbsup:

·
local jackass
931 Posts
I'm running Mavic deetracks and like stated above they are amazing super strong and the 20mm Thu axle is really nice and easy to use I'm 240 was 270 and they have held up great I do go off jumps and drops so I can honestly say these time are super stiff

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have rhyno lites right now on my setup up i weight in at 250lbs i ride xc/ trail/ all mountain

the rhyno lite up front had to be trued 3 times so far doesn't seem to handle the abuse
but it could be just a bad rim also (like poorely built) because my rear rhyno has lastest since day 1

BUT i have had experience with the rhyno lite XL machined and welded, those rims are insanely tough i bunny hopped way to soon one day and nail the curb stone going around 55km/h and the rim only have a tiny scratch / dent which didn't afftect the ride at all, rim lasted 7 YEARS until i sold the bike!!!! never had to get it trewed once/// but keep in mind theses rhyno lit XL were built at my lbs // a well built rim will last very long if the mechanics good lol i got a set built for 300$ canadian and i whish i still had them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.